TWENTY-THREE

THIRD PERSON.

Driving along the highway nearing 2am, Corbyn glanced over at Kai, who was wrapped up in a blanket while fast asleep, her hand loosely holding onto Corbyn's as a small smile was on the boys face.

Letting go of the girls hand, the boy grabbed his phone and called his sister, putting the phone on speaker before placing it in his lap while waiting for it to ring.

After a few dials, the phone eventually was answered and the boy waited for her to speak because he said anything, just in case she was around people.

"Why are you calling?" Ashley asked, the sound of her bedroom door closing, "Not that i'm complaining, I'm just confused."

"So, you know how you say drunk words are sober thoughts," Corbyn said, letting out a sigh, "Kai was drunk a few nights ago and she said she doesn't want to go back to Lakeside, so I have a plan-"

"No," she interrupted him, "LA isn't for her, she needs to be in Lakeside."

"No, if you'd just listen-"

"Corbyn, anywhere but Lakeside is going to ruin her," the girl explained, cutting him off again, "I'm sure she's loving the world that is outside her hometown, but you're showing her the good parts of it, not the bad things people experience everyday."

"I don't want to take her back there," Corbyn mumbled, "Shes happy outside of Lakeside."

"I get that and I'm glad you did something she's been wanting to do for ages but her dad won't leave us alone," Ashley said, "He wants to come to LA to meet us and ask us questions, he just wants his daughter back."

"I cant." Corbyn sighed, "I cant do that to her."

"You need to," she told him, "You don't need to stop seeing her or talking to her, her dad just wants her home."

The boy frowned, glancing over at Kai before he pulled over to the side of the road, "When is he planning to come see you all?"

"In two weeks, he wants her back before Christmas." Ashley told him as he grabbed his phone and got out the car, pacing around it while running his fingers through his hair, "Corbyn just bring her to LA for when he gets here, it'll make everything easier."

"She doesn't want to go back," Corbyn replied as Ashley sighed.

"You're making it so difficult. Corbyn this isn't just something you can mess about with, he's got cops involved, he doesn't want you with Kai."

"I don't care," Corbyn told the girl, "I want to be with Kai, he shouldn't have a say of that, it's not like his daughter is fourteen fucking years old."

"No but he wants to keep her safe-"

"She's safe with me!" He replied, his voice a little raised as Ashley let out a sigh, "I'm always beside her, she hasn't gotten hurt, what's the big deal?"

"Corbyn, just take her to her dad." Ashley said, sighing again, "Please, I can't keep lying to everyone about you, Randy is going to try get it out of Daniel next and it's not looking good."

"Fine, I'll take her back to Lakeside." Corbyn mumbled, quickly ending the phone call before getting back into the car, putting his head on his hands before looking over at Kai, shaking his head.

Starting the car again, the boy debated on whether or not to turn around and head back to Lakeside, or whether he should finish the rest of the trip in the next week or so, not knowing which one would be the better option.

He himself wasn't ready to go back, of course he knew at some point he'd have to, but for now he was happy with the plan he was in the middle of, heading around the country with someone who makes him happy, it was something he wasn't quite ready to let go of.

But he also wanted to protect his people back in LA, knowing they were paying the price of him leaving the city and becoming inactive on all socials.

Taking a deep breath, the boy continued on with the drive down the highway, deciding not to turn around and to make Kai happy before he went home to get the outcome of it all.

And with only 7 states left, he knew there wasn't long left until they were done with it all, and that everything they've done in the past month would become a distant memory, back living on the opposite side of the world to each other.

A/N

a cute filler chapter k thx