xxiii. crossing the line

January 3, 1515

"The people are cold and starving, Your Majesty. Even healthy people are dying."

I shifted uncomfortably in the throne. Henry was gone, visiting the newly crowned King Francis I of France, who had only been king a total of three days. Mary Tudor was still there, a bit sad at her husband's death but grateful for her returned freedom. I was stuck in England as Queen Regent while Henry was away, left to deal with the brutal winter.

"Then we must do something about it," I answered vaguely, "What is it they need? Food? Clothing? I believe my ladies and I have old cloaks and gloves that we don't need" I thought silently for a bit. After a moment of deliberation, I concluded, "Send cloaks, gloves, and blankets to keep them warm. Nothing too fancy, only the spares of the lords and ladies of court. Furthermore, any scraps of food we have in the kitchens will also be sent out. How much grain do we have to spare?"

"Lots, but Your Majesty mustn't-"

"Send enough grain to get them through the next two or three weeks, at most," I declared, "I cannot heartlessly let them die, but I cannot drain our resources, either."

"Yes, Your Majesty." 

"Could we raise the taxes on the nobles slightly, and set aside the extra money to provide for the peasants in the future? Scrambling around like this is embarrassing" I asked.

"Perhaps. How much would you like to raise them?"

"An additional 2% should suffice, correct?"

"Yes. It will be enough for this winter and possibly the next."

"And the nobles will pay it?" I asked

"I can't guarantee it, but I believe they will. You aren't asking for too much more."

"Understood. That will be all for now. You may go." 

The man scurried off. I stayed at the throne, massaging my aching forehead.

Henry truly couldn't have picked a worse time to leave. The unusually harsh winter was leaving peasants dead throughout the country, and the palace was suffering significant monetary cuts due to our exorbitant spending at Christmas. I dismissed a few people from my household and from Katherine's, and it seemed to help a bit. Still, the pressure to get it right hung over me like a stormy cloud of despair. The job of Queen Consort, and especially Queen Regent, weren't for the faint of heart.

After moping in my morning thoughts, I returned to my chambers to search through my old winter clothes and pick out a few things to send to the freezing peasants. The thought of people's bodies buried under layers of thick, icy snow was haunting. I couldn't let my people suffer while I lived all too comfortably.

"Anna, what are you doing?" Sarah asked as I slowly began tossing old winter items into a pile on the floor. Mary and Isabell looked appalled, whereas Sarah and Clara seemed merely confused.

"Peasants are freezing. We're not," I explained, "Find some old winter garments and add them to the pile." 

__

January 4, 1515

While the supplies that had been gathered were being delivered to the people, I rested by a warm fire guiltily. It burned as bright as my love for England and its people. I couldn't help but think about the freezing peasants who were relying on me.

"Clara, come talk to me. I need a distraction."

Clara obediently walked over, sitting across from me. "What would you like to talk about, miss?"