Chapter 2 - Not Interested, Thanks.

I woke up and the feeling was worse than ever. Just this awful nagging, tingly, suspicious feeling. I hated it. I wanted it to go away. I rolled out of bed and onto the cold wooden floor, groaning. I pushed myself up and leaned against my bed. I rested my head back, closing my eyes, and just thinking. This stupid feeling wasn't going away, I still had a full day of school with two tests, and that party or whatever was tonight. I had no reason to go. Jay would most likely be there, but he hung with the popular crowd more often than I, and I had no other friends.

I jumped up to my feet and got dressed. Black sweats, grey t-shirt, black hoodie. I slipped my shoes on, quietly shutting my door and tiptoe running down the stairs. I reached the kitchen to find both, my parents, already up and froze in my steps. My dad was sipping on what I hoped was coffee, staring at his tablet. My mother is doing the same. I quietly stepped into the kitchen, neither of them acknowledging me. It was weird they were up this early. I grabbed an apple again, and just as I reached the door frame to leave the kitchen my mother spoke up.

"Party starts at 7. Be there." She said, voice strong and enthusiastic.

"Yes ma'am," I mumbled, escaping the kitchen. I rushed out the door, running down the street until I was at least a block from my house. I kept walking, panting slightly. I approached the school just as the doors were unlocked, and once again walked to my first hour. The same routine as yesterday, I scrolled through my phone until the bell rang and my uneventful day started. Or at least that's what I thought.

...

Lunch. I sat by myself, Jay off with some other people, probably hanging around the Alpha's son or something. I sat at my table eavesdropping on other tables near me. The girls whispering and giggling about dumb girl things, probably about the Alpha's son. I caught a piece of their conversation though and wasn't thrilled.

"Did you hear about the other Alpha-to-be that's here? I heard they arrived yesterday morning. Someone saw them arrive, fancy cars and stuff." One of the girls giggled as another girl gasped.

"OMG! I saw him the other day, he's suuuper hot." She chirped in. I rolled my eyes, picking at my salad that I also added to my daily pizza because...why not.

"Gosh, I wonder how many other hot dudes are going to be at that party! It's going to be great!" One of them said.

"Wouldn't it be great if one of us was the future Luna too?" One of them whispered and they all giggled. I made a gagging noise before standing up and walking away, discarding my barely eaten food. I'd lost my appetite, and that feeling in my stomach was still there and I just wasn't hungry anymore. I walked to my next hour and just chilled, and that's basically how the rest of my day went. An uneasy feeling and boring classes.

...

6:30. I sat on my bed, just wishing I were dead or something. That feeling was awful now as if warning me of something. I think it had something to do with this stupid party I had to go to. And yea, I could ditch, but the consequences are totally not worth it. Black eyes and broken noses aren't fun. I stood up, stalked into my closet, and walked back out in a dark blue polo, black jeans, and my nicer tennis shoes. I could care less to get totally dressed up like some people would, mostly girls. God, the lengths they went to to be noticed. Craziness. I walked downstairs, stopping in the kitchen briefly for a glass of water. I downed it before leaving the glass in the sink with a sigh. I slowly walked out of the kitchen, really dreading this stupid party. Why would I need to go? I was a guy. I'm sure if the Alpha's son was my mate I'd have known by now and been rejected. 

I walked to the packhouse where our Alpha and his family resided, to find it basically already packed. People kept filing in, everyone holding something or other. Girls were all dolled up in short dresses and skirts faces full of makeup. Even the dudes were dressed up to a degree, maybe also hoping to find their mates. Gross. 

I walked through the gates with the stream of people, and that uneasy feeling in my stomach immediately burst. It seemed to get worse, my wolf up and howling with it. I clutched my stomach, but kept walking, trying to bear with the pain. My wolf was whimpering and whining, pacing in my head. I hated this, and I think I knew what it meant.

I wandered the grounds, not really talking to anyone. I spotted my parents at some point and walked the other way, not wanting to bother with them. At 7:30, the Alpha made his appearance with his family, along with several other Alpha families. Alpha started talking, but I wasn't listening. I stared just over his shoulder at a tall man next to him, who stared back at me. Me who was all the way in the back of the crowd, standing behind a boatload of people. And he held eye contact with me. My wolf stood at attention, drooling in my head...basically. That uneasy feeling was finally given a reason. I reason that I had a feeling I knew but ignored. That tall man standing behind my Alpha was my mate. 

I didn't notice when the Alpha stopped talking, only when they all spaced out into the yard, and I lost sight of my so-called mate. I panicked. I didn't want a mate, and I sure as Hell didn't wanna be rejected right here and now. I looked around for him and saw him walking right towards me. I froze, my heart beating out of my chest as he neared. My wolf, damn traitor, howled in joy and whined happily. I was not. He stopped in front of me, people watching curiously as I internally freaked out. He smiled at me, white teeth and all. He ran a large hand through his short-cropped, brown hair. Then he offered his other hand to me to shake. I stared at it like it could kill me. It could. His dark brown eyes were trained on me, and I could almost see his wolf behind those eyes, tail wagging. 

"Hey, I'm Matias. " His voice was deep and smooth and oozed authority. I just stared, mouth agape. I chuckled at my lack of response. His hand finally lowered as he realized I wasn't going to take it. 

"Hello?" He laughed, teasingly waving his hand in front of my face. I blinked.

"No." I blurted out. My wolf paused. Confusion crossed his face.

"No?" He asked, questioning me. People were watching now, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw my parents watching too. My mother had a scowl on her face, my dad looked out of it as always. I looked up at him. 

He was very tall. Much taller than me. He was big too, not a single ounce of fat on his sculpted body. I couldn't deny he was good-looking, and knowing he was my mate only made me more attracted to him. His jawline was sharp, along with his lips. Eyes soft yet hard as they studied my small frame. 

"No, I-I, No," I mumbled, taking a step away from him. The people watching started to whisper among themselves, my mother with her fists clenched. I didn't know if she was mad my mate was a guy, or if it was because I wasn't going to accept him. I shook my head as I kept backing away, and when he took a step forward to reach out for me, I ran. I heard him yell for me, but not my name cause I never told him. I didn't stop though, just kept running. I ran as fast as I could back to my house, rushing up the steps and slamming the door, locking it. I ran into my closet, grabbed a duffel bag, and started throwing things in it. I dropped to the floor and pulled a box from under my bed that was filled with money. I stuffed it in the bag, zipping it closed. Just as I swung the bag over my shoulder, I heard the front door open, and my mother screaming my name. 

I opened my window, throwing the bag out onto the lawn, I jumped. I landed harshly on the ground, picking up the bag and running, not caring that I heard my mate now screaming my name behind me as I ran away from the pack. As I ran away from him.