30: Only Family

~Jacob's pov~

~Jacob's pov~

For the next long and silent three hours, I read the book that was in my pocket until I was more than halfway done with the book. I never knew I was able to read this fast, I've rarely ever picked up books. But I was interrupted in the middle of a sentence when Jesse shook my shoulder, getting my attention.

"We're going to ask if we can see Mikayla now, wanna come?"

I only nodded.

"Alright," he got up from his seat and forced a smile at me, "let's go."

I let the book back into the pocket of my leather jacket and stood up with Jesse and the rest and we walked up to the lady behind the desk at the very end of the hall.

"Can we see Mikayla Winter, please?" Alyssa asked with a shaky voice when we all got there.

The desk lady looked up from typing on the keyboard of her computer to us, then back down at her computer. "Relationship?" she asked with a bored tone.

"Friends of hers," Max answered.

The lady shook her head. "Only family can visit, though they can permit one person," she answered in the same monotone voice.

And for the first time in almost four hours, I spoke a complete sentence for the first time. "Are you serious?" I asked harshly. It may have been the first time something that wasn't cut up into pieces came up, but it wasn't sweet. "Her 'mom' doesn't want anything to do with her and her 'dad' is the reason she's in here. We're probably the closest thing to a family she has." Everyone seemed shocked at my outburst. I had barely talked during the time the doctor left and now, unless you counted nodding or shaking my head talking then I talked about twice.

It took a while of reasoning and threats to call for security but we were finally allowed to go into the room with Mikayla one at a time.

"Alyssa, you want to go in first?" I offered her, motioning my hand to the door.

She smiled warmly at me, maybe thanking me in her head for letting her go in first. About five minutes passed before she walked out, her tears were wiped away and none were brimming her eyes. Next it was Jesse, when he came out his hair was messy like he'd ran his hands through it many times. Adam went after him and when we all started worrying when he was spending more time in there than expected, Ethan snuck in to grab him. Adam left the room alone so we knew it was now Ethan's turn for a visit. After Ethan walked out, Max took his place in the room, taking the same amount of time as everyone else, except Adam. When he exited, he went straight to hugging Alyssa.

It was the part I was dreading. I already saw her in the gurney when they pushed her in the back of the ambulance as the police tried to tell me what had happened. But seeing her attached to those wires you see in movies and the heart monitor as it beeped seemed like it would only make it worse, make it more real. But the part that petrified me the most was that there was a possibility she wouldn't wake up because of the coma.