Chapter 19

"She is so stubborn. Her heart has an argument with her head every time it wants to beat"

Lately it seems I am constantly at war with myself – walking the line between sanity and absurdity. At the centre of my unrest lodged a certain blue eyed Alpha. Each day I could feel the mate pull growing stronger, with it slowly came the weakening of my resolve. Part of me wanted nothing but to change the hand I'd been dealt but another clung to the foolish notion that under different circumstances I could possibly see myself giving in and free falling into him. The latter made my desire to be free all the more consuming.

I starred down at the note in my hand detailing the reasons behind what I was about to do. Four times I had written and four times I had torn through each of the inked pages, knowing no amount of reasoning would suffice to diffuse his anger when he came to know of my betrayal. First would come the shock and with it would follow a burning fury.

By then I'd be long gone.

Though I knew not where I would go, I knew I had to leave. The longer I stayed the harder it would be to leave. Any form of attachment would only serve to aggravate the situation at hand. For this reason, I had kept mostly to myself only leaving the confines of my temporary place of rest when absolutely necessary – my meetings with Julian being the only thing that seemed to fit that category.

"Take Jasper with you, I will feel better knowing you have someone watching your back."

I had lied through my teeth when Greyson made known his intention to journey to the Italian pack council for a couple of days.

His departure had given me the golden opportunity at an escape. Though Maximus, or Hulk as I better prefer to call him, hovered around me like flies to malodour, getting past him would be an easy slip. In the past 48 hours, I had carefully observed his movements.

Only two windows of opportunity would arise, one at the dawn of a new day and the other at the peak of night. The former seemed the best bet, getting around unfamiliar territory would prove rather challenging at night.

The pounding of my heart resonated in my ears as I strode through the corridor, my footing light as a feather. Though the prospect of getting caught hovered at the forefront of my mind each step I took further from our bedroom, my will overthrew my fear.

How would I explain the scene unfolding if I were to get caught? The lone bag pack secured on my back and the black hoody I wore were enough cause for suspicion. My wandering off in the in the dark, at the break of down would need no explanation, for a vivid picture would have already be painted with brush strokes weighed by deceit.

My feet moved at their own accord to a set destination, as my mind fixated on the gravity of what I was doing. I was leaving the one person destined to be by my side for all eternity. Though it weighed heavy on my heart now, I knew in time it would be but a distant memory. In a few years I will forget there was ever a certain perfectly sculpted Alpha, and all this will be forgotten.

At least that's what I hoped.

The keys were exactly were I had expected to find them. To my luck, there was more than just keys in the desk drawer of Greyson's office. The stack of cash I found would come in handy. Though I felt bad for it, I knew I needed to help myself to the money otherwise my escape could possibly be short-lived.

Who on earth even leaves this much money lying around anyway?

After a few more cautious strides I found my way to the garage. Closing my eyes and pressing the unlock button, I held my breath hoping the sound of the car would not draw any attention and that the keys belonged to an inconspicuous car. The last thing I wanted was to be a magnet on wheels – I needed to blend in. Sure, I would ditch the car the moment I got the nearest town, about an hour or so away, it would still be great to go unnoticed. I did not want to leave any bread crumbs behind me, I had masked my scent for that reason.

I drove away from my destined future towards a future I controlled.

***

I ditched the car the first chance I got.

With my eyes concealed by the dark veil of my hoody, I made my way into the small diner across the street. I needed time – time to figure out my next move and take to a beat just for a moment. The diner was quiet and for the most part empty, it served just as well for my purposes to remain under the radar. The less people I encountered, the shorter the trail I left behind.

I settled on the table at the far secluded end of the diner that provided a clear view of my surroundings. From my position, I had a clear view of the entrance and the street outside. I'd be able to spot any potential threat.

Senses at their peak, my paranoia was making me question whether every person that walked through the door potentially knew who I was. I wondered as I stared out through the window if by now, word had reached Greyson about my disappearance. If so, my window of opportunity was fast closing in.

I couldn't even begin to think of the measure of his vengeance, instead I clung to the hope that I could still slip past the territory undetected. I had managed to move away from the pack lands, however a vast portion of the distance I was yet to cover was still pack territory. My advantage – only a handful of the pack had seen my face, most of which had left with their Alpha for Italy.

The only possible way forth was for me to hitch a ride with someone headed away from the pack territory. Soon I would be free of the threat of getting caught, only then will I be able to plan out my way forth post existing in a life filled with mythical creatures.

My train of thought is interrupted by the arrival of a waitress evidently in her early twenties, clothes in an apron that had the shop's name printed on it. A welcoming smile brightened her features, drawing me to her lively emerald eyes though I would have rather kept my head down.

"Hello. My name is Alexia, but you can me Alex." 

I smile benignly at her.

She seems human. I thought to my self was I wondered if she could be a possible threat. Even as I tried to convince myself, I knew there was no way to truly detect whether she is supernatural or otherwise.

"I have never seen you around here before. New in town?"

Her words catch me off guard causing a spike in my heart rate but I quickly mask it, not wanting to further fuel her curiosity.

"I'm just passing through." I respond calmly, though calm was the furthest thing from my state of mind in that moment.

"Running from something?"

"Excuse me?" I cannot help the slight annoyance in my tone at her inquisition.

Something was definitely off. But leaving now would probably rise more suspicion.

One coffee. Then you can leave.

"I'm sorry I don't mean to pry. You just seem distracted, jumpy even."

"You keep looking between the door and street. That, and your eyes keep burning lasers through your wrist." She continues when I don't respond.

"I'm actually waiting for someone. They should have been here by now." I lie.

"Can I take your order while you wait?"

I decide to order some breakfast with my coffee. I would need the strength to get through the day. She scribbles down my order and retreats. Minutes ticked by as I thought of a way forth for me. What would I do? I need to finish school and go to college. I need to find a safe remote place to settle where Greyson couldn't find me and I definitely need to find a job. 

One coffee turned into two and then four as my thoughts consumed me. Had I known I was on watch I would have taken my coffee to go.