Chapter 26

Highschool continuation

Third person's pov

It was now the third year of highschool. Day by day layla felt like not going to school anymore. She dreaded that place. Her grades had slipped down and with great difficulty she had brought them up.

She had to score. She could not disappoint grandma. The loss of her parents was enough to cope with.

The teasing, the bullying continued. Daniel would call her names and other would follow his lead. Some even went as far as to throw water on her or wet toilet papers at her. She was now used to the constant name calling and teasing. 'One year, just one more year.' she kept telling herself.

One year later(Final year of highschool)

It was the final year of highschool. Layla was looking forward to the end of highschool. Her grades were good and she was dreaming to go to the college of her dreams. All she wanted to do was be a daughter her parents would be proud of.

Daniel and layla had one class together that day. The teacher told them that all of them had a project that would be accountable for 25% of their grade.

She said she would be pairing thrm in groups of two to complete the project. Layla sighed in frustration. Couldn't she just do it alone.

The teacher started taking the names and finally hers was announced, 'Layla Vanderbilt and Daniel Harrington.' the teacher said.

Layla was shocked and so was the whole class. Daniel was annoyed. Of all people he was paired up with layla. The teacher gave them that lecture to discuss with their partners about the project.

Daniel went towards layla's bench and before he could speak anything she said, 'I will do everything related to the project. You just sign it. That will be easier for both of us, right?' she said and he just nodded shocked. Then she took out some book and started reading it and after the bell rang she got up and left the class.

Months passed by in a breeze and true to her word layla didn't approach Daniel for anything.

Daniel was walking through the doorway and was in a bad mood. 'Daniel you just understand uncle Robert.' Caleb said. 'Just don't say anything Caleb. The way he spoke to me today.' He said distressed.

'BUT that true bro... Its about time you grow up and mature a little bit.' Caleb replied in a careful tone. 'He is looking at you to look after the Harrington business empire one day.'

Before Daniel could reply to anything he heard someone call his name. Annoyed he turned around and saw layla standing there.

'What is it fatty? Apart from being fat are you also blind. Can't you see we are talking? ' he asked her in an angry tone. 'I... I just wanted you to sign on the project before submitting it. Today's lecture is the deadline' she said.

He took the booklet angrily from her. 'Do you have a pen?' he asked her. She opened her pouch of stationery and was taking too long to find one. He impatiently and angrily grabbed it and took out some random pen and roughly signed on it. He handed her the booklet and threw the pan towards her. She was caught off guard and the pen fell down.

It felt like the pen cracked a bit. She bent down and picked it up. 'Is it expensive?' Caleb immedietly asked her. 'No...' she replied quietly. 'It just belongs to my father.' she said and turned around and left still holding the pen.

'Dude.... Nothing was her fault tight now. Why did you act like that with her?' Caleb asked Daniel.

'Sorry, I was just in a bad mood.' Daniel replied and started walking towards his locker. 'Don't you think over the years you and the school has been a little harsh on her, including me of course.' Caleb said.

'At the end of the day Caleb, no one cares for this stuff. I don't, they don't and I dont think she does as well. It's just school.' He said.

'You laughed at her when she was scolded in front of the entire class and even said right to her face that it was the best entertainment in the world.' Caleb said.

'Okay, that was a dick move on my part.' Daniel accepted. 'Finals and graduation is in a week Caleb. We have put that girl through a lot in high school.' Caleb said. He had seen how kind she was and was feeling a bit guilty.

'Okay I will say sorry to her on graduation.' Daniel said. 'Really?' Caleb asked. 'Really.' Daniel said. It would be a closure for everything he thought.

On the day of the graduation a few weeks later everyone's parents came. Daniel's family as the trustee of the school say fight in the front row.

Everyone went on the stage and got their diploma. Daniel's parents cheered for him and took pictures.

Finally at the end Daniel was searching for layla to say sorry to her and end things on good terms but she was nowhere to be seen.

'Dude, seen layla?' he asked one of his classmates. 'She left with her grandma straight after receiving her diploma.' He replied. 'She left?' he asked. 'Yeah.' He replied.

Daniel went back to his friends and family.

Layla had left.

Highschool was over.

Daniel sat in the terrace garden alone clutching his chest having one of the several tears he had made layla cry in his eyes.

I am so sorry layla. I am so sorry. He thought over and over again.

I love you layla.