52. You are our guests

We walk up the long driveway to the old stone gatehouse of the manor where Killian announces his name and connection to Lord Ulric. Immediately we are ushered inside and taken across the courtyard to the manor house that looks more like a small castle, only to be greeted by the Lord and Lady themselves, both of them dressed in fine deep red clothes with matching intricate designs on.

Although shivering and tired I remember my manners and step into a curtsey whilst Sage bows deeply beside me. Killian however, meets Lord Ulric in a strong embrace.

"My friend, I had not thought I would be seeing you so soon!" Lord Ulric exclaims heartily.

"Nor I old friend, but I am not complaining. I must congratulate you two on your ten years together!" He smiles at them both, "Do you by any chance have room for three more tonight?"

"Of course, our doors are always open to you," Lady Eleanor says, her voice smooth.

"We are grateful for your hospitality,"

"Is this your lady Killian?"

I choke, colour rising to my cheeks and Killian beside me coughs avoiding my gaze, "No, no, definitely not," for some reason his abrupt denial stings a little, "let me introduce you to my companions," Killian elaborates, "this is Sage and Ell who I am accompanying on their journey to Sanlowe,"

"A pleasure to meet you both," Lady Eleanor says looking us both over.

"The pleasure is ours," I reply, bowing my head.

"I dare say it is getting a bit too cold for my liking out here, please do come in." She says.

"I agree my love, let us take this inside,"

We follow them both into the grand manor, and I have to hold myself from gasping. This place was built with care and good planning. It's interior is made from a combination of stone and wood, carefully constructed together creating an elegant atmosphere. In the entrance hall wooden chandeliers hang from the ceiling holding bright flames that light up the room.

"... Telling me that you came over the mountains at this time of the year!" I catch Lord Ulric exclaiming to Killian, "Blimey Kai, why am I not surprised?"

"We had no choice, Fosscombe is plague ridden along with a handful of other villages down there, it was too risky to go that way."

"Ah the dreaded plague, we have been fortunate down here and had hardly any deaths. If you ask me I'd say the plague is not strong enough to survive the cold conditions here," Lord Ulric chuckles, "or maybe we are just lucky and the plague is just biding its sweet time."

"Stay positive my friend, I have faith in your evasion skills," The two share a laugh reminiscing a battle fought a long time ago.

"We shall be having a ball tonight so I hope you are all up for eating your hearts out and dancing the night away." Lord Ulric turns to Sage and I.

"Yes, my Lord, but I regret to tell you that we do not have anything to wear." I had left all but my original clothes and Alice's travel outfit in Kirkwall so a ball worthy dress was off the table.

"Me neither my Lord," Sage says with a small respectful bow.

"Or I," Killian adds.

"That shall not be an issue," Lady Eleanor steps in, "you are our guests and shall be treated as such. You must all be tired and dirty after your travel, I shall have the chamber maids prepare baths for you and when you have finished your ballroom attire shall be waiting in your chambers,"

My eyes widen, to have a bath or in this case a few, means that Lord Ulric must have a lot of money.

"Thank you my Lady," I say as handful of maids come over and lead us away to seperate chambers. I give a fleeting smile to Sage who, along with Killian, is being taken in the opposite direction before we round a corner and I lose sight of them.

"Right this way miss," says one of the maids, leading me into a rather elegant bedchamber containing a large bed that has plushed pillows and embroidery on.

"This is my chamber for tonight?" I ask tentatively.

"Yes, and we are at your service this evening, if you ever need anything just ask."

"Thank you, if I had my first choice I would be going to sleep in that lavish looking bed right there but unfortunately that is not an option." I take another longing look at it. Later, I remind myself, later and that bed will be all mine. "Maybe now is a good time to clean up a bit, I think I have been traipsing dirt around."

"You are lucky today, the fires have been going since the early morning heating up water for guests so hot water is already here ready for you to wash in."

"Hot water?" I say in shock as I was expecting to bathe in cold water.

"Of course, Lord Ulric's guests get treated with nothing less, the tub is just through here." The two lead me through a door on the side that I had initially missed. It leads onto a small room but big enough to not feel crowded with both the tub and us in there.

"I am not complaining," I laugh, "what are your names?"

"I am Larae," says the shorter of the two, her long auburn hair in a tight crown braid.

"And I am Jadeth," the other says, also wearing her darker brown hair in a plaited crown and starts pouring what looks to be herbs into the bath.

"My name is Ell,"

"Are you a noblewomen? You do not seem like one." Larae asks coming over to me and reaching for my back.

I spin around confused, "What are you doing?"

Jadeth laughs, "You are definitely are not a noblewomen,"

I crinkle my eyebrows.

"I'm undoing the lacing on your dress or whatever this is," she looks up and down at my attire with a shrug.

"Oh no," suddenly Jadeth's comment suddenly makes sense, noblewomen have maids undressing and dressing them all the time, "thank you but I don't need help,"

"M'lady, it is our duty," Larae reaches for the lacing once more.

"No thank you, I do not need any help. As you have probably worked out by now, I am not a noblewomen just a mere traveller."

"If you insist..." She trails off, hesitant to not do one of her jobs.

"I promise you, I will be fine."

Jadeth finishes swirling in the final herbs into the water and stands upright, "We can prepare your clothes and food whilst you are in here. Just call out if you need any help,"

"Okay, thank you, if anything happens please do come get be for I do not want to be late or anything."

"Of course, we would not leave you here." Jadeth says, curtseying to me before leaving me alone in the room.

A/N:

Happy Monday everyone!

Please vote if you enjoyed :)

SouthernAlps over and out...