009

september 17th, 2019
6:17 pm

september 17th, 20196:17 pm

"HEY MOM. I WAS JUST CALLING TO SEE HOW YOU WERE DOING." Noelani spoke into her cell phone as she lounged on the roof right above where her bedroom was placed.

"Napa's been pretty okay. I've made a couple of friends here already... I uh, I miss you mom." Noelani's voice cracked a little and she wiped away the tear that escaped.

"I really, really, really miss you. I love you, call me when you can." Noel hung up the phone.

Noelani let out a sigh, then turned to face the sky.

The sun was beginning to set, making the sky turn a series of purples, oranges and blues.

Noelani glanced at the other houses behind her before hugging her knees to her chest.

In the driveway, Noelani could see Alejandro and Erin conversing with each other, sitting in Alejandro's truck.

The breeze picked up a little as the hues in the sky turned red and yellow.

Noelani took in a deep breath as her tears started anew.

She missed her island.

She missed her mother.

But most of all she missed what her relationship with her father could've been.

What it should've been.

Noelani wouldn't admit it to anyone outside of herself and maybe her pets, but...

She was lonely.

Something needed to change.

Noelani moved from the roof after a few more minutes to sit in her hanging wicker chair, restarted her homework and twiddle a pencil in her right hand.

R&B music was playing at a medium volume from her Alexa and the windows were open to let in the tangerine colored light from the sun.

Cinnamon was laying on the rug placed by Noelani's bed while Blue was asleep in her giant gray dog bed, placed over by Noelani's closet.

There was a dainty knock at the door and Noelani called out without looking up, "Come in."

Erin stuck her head in, her straight blonde hair tumbling over her shoulder, "There's a cute boy waiting downstairs for you."