Chapter 13 - "Alright princess, let's dance."

Weston was staring off into nothing, brow furrowed in thought when Taylor appeared in his office. He made no sign that he noticed her presence, lips pressed together. Beyond his dim room, Taylor spotted a bit of movement.

A police officer with dark skin, model good looks, and a quick smile was directing a struggling man off towards the holding cells. Taylor almost made a comment about officer Diego but caught herself before the words could betray her. Instead, she cleared her throat.

Weston started at the sound, jolted from his reverie. It was the same reaction Taylor always received when she broke into her father's thoughts. It was a similarity Weston would never admit to, but was there, when both father and son were deep in thought nothing else existed. Spinning in his chair, he faced her, lacing his hands over his stomach.

"It's been a couple of days, everything okay?" he asked.

Taylor pressed herself further into the shadow of her corner, feeling his probing gaze.

"Got tied up is all," she said.

Weston arched one eyebrow, a talent as his little sister she always was impressed by.

"Do you mean in the figurative or the literal sense?"

She fought back a smile. "Only in the figurative." Before Weston could worm his way into more information, she went on. "I see you ate your dinner tonight."

Weston glanced at the empty spot on his desk then back at her.

"Actually, I completely forgot."

"When was the last time you ate?"

She knew she sounded like their mother but her brother had the habit of forgetting the necessities of life, like eating. It was a trait they seemed to share. Thinking, Weston scratched at the stubble on his jaw.

"I believe lunchtime, but I can't be sure."

Shaking her head, Taylor pushed herself off the wall and held out a gloved hand.

"Do you have cash?"

Leaning to one side, he pulled out his wallet and retrieved a twenty. He hesitated, the bill hovering above her palm.

"What do you want with it?"

Taylor rolled her eyes, even though he couldn't see the action. For a detective, he was slow on the uptake.

"I'm going to rob you of twenty bucks."

Before he could say anything, she took the money and disappeared. The world came back as a dark alley. Burying her hands in her pockets, she skipped around the puddles of waterlogged trash and out of the dank air.

On the opposite side of the street was a neon sign still glowing in the night, the curly letters of Manny's was a mix of red and white. Taylor scurried across the road and slipped into the restaurant. The aroma of spices that permeated the air, hinted at a different world.

"We're about to close up, you'll have to make it quick."

The round-faced man behind the counter looked up from his task of wiping down the surface. He tensed when he noticed Taylor's all black attire, gloves, and lowered hood.

Taylor nodded. "Okay, I'll have a Baja grilled burrito, medium Coke, and a small churro."

The man relaxed. "That we can do."

He hollered at someone in the back and accepted the twenty from Taylor. The drink and the dessert were pointless additions, she knew Weston didn't drink soda and he only ate sugar when he was at home. She bought them anyway, knowing as Shadow she wouldn't know this.