Confliction

An anonymous tip in the form of a paper eagle, alerted me to a wanted Akatsuki bounty. I knew it was one of the Akatsuki members, Pein’s companion, the woman with the purple hair always sent me the destinations and profiles of my targets―but it’d been two months since regaining my sight and cutting connections with Naruto, and I had no intentions of leaving my room at the Kusagakure Inn.

Within those solitary two months, I’d observed Team Kakashi through Kuragari’s eyes and Kakashi’s intel through his summoning hound, Pakun. Orochimaru had surfaced and was in pursuit of Sasuke, Kakashi was out of action through the consequence of using his Mangekyou so a replacement was issued and the man was none other than Tenzo―going by the name of Yamato to the rest of Kakashi’s team. A new member was decreed to join Team Seven from the orders of Danzo Shimura, so a Root Member that seemed to piss Naruto off, was now in the team.

Naruto’s memories regarding me were still repressed but every once in a while the Genjutsu would lapse, mainly when he entered the Kyuubi mode when more than one tail emerged. However, the strength of the block only waned for less than a minute before doing its job once more.

I felt guilty, to say the least. I cast Naruto aside like those of his past did, but I wasn’t that rebellious second branch ANBU anymore, I was a Konohagakure rogue in affiliation with the Akatsuki. I was older, mature, and no longer found refuge within my own village or the comfort of old comrades. I truly was a ghost, drifting, haunting, and never being put to rest.

I clenched my fists and remembered the look on their faces when Naruto’s new team saw Sasuke for the first time. Sasuke Uchiha was no longer the boy I tried to protect within my last moments of ‘life’, he was a heartless bastard that breathed for death and lived for the kill―his ‘goal’ was to kill Itachi in cold blood to make him feel the pain of losing his entire clan, but what did the Uchiha ever do for Sasuke apart from push him to his limits? What did the Uchiha show Sasuke apart from the hatred derived from Madara?

I punched the wall of my room, causing a large fissure to split some of the floorboards and ceiling. I knew that kid would end up like he was, deranged and power hungry. Sasuke was everything that Itachi hated, yet the love for his brother would always out do the love he claimed to have for Shisui and I. But Sasuke would never appreciate Itachi, not even if the kid knew the truth. I hated him for his selfishness, I hated Sasuke for having the privilege of always being loved, chased, wanted.

While I wasted away in a jail cell, only to have Itachi’s company, my parents never came to visit before their timely demise, nor did Shisui beg for me to be released. While I suffered, the world kept spinning. Nobody ever went to look for me, nobody even asked questions. Kakashi never thought to ask Hiruzen and the Hokage stopped pursuing Fugaku for answers. I was always the one to chase those I cared about, to catch them before they fell, but who was ever there for me? Not the village, not my clan, not even my friends. I had no body while Sasuke had everyone, and the selfish bastard would throw that away for one life.

The mere thought of the child that I vouched for, that I protected with my dying breath, made my anger intensify. I snatched the Bingo Book entry of Yugito Nii, the Nibi Jinchuriki of Kumogakure. Apparently Hidan and Kakuzu tracked her down to some underground sewers. I had no choice but to take her down, at least, if I died, the pain would be over.

[Time Skip]

I felt Kakuzu and Hidan’s chakra as soon as I made it to the sewers beneath Kumogakure. The teleportation technique I learnt from Shisui certainly shaved time off my travel. The echo of Yugito’s footsteps reverberated off the cold stone walls as she tried to evade me.