Chapter 43 - Decisions

Angelo's POV

"What do you mean she's gone? Did something happen again?" My cousin asked in concern, his hand flying to his pistol while scanning the penthouse.

"Yeah, I happened. Me and my fucked up choices that keep becoming a continuous mistake!" I snapped before walking up the two steps into the foyer, tracking my path towards the kitchen.

"Whoa! You're barefoot, Angelo!" He yelled, intercepting me while placing his hand upon my chest and gesturing towards the shards of the mug on the floor.

"I don't give a fuck!" I shoved his arm away from me.

"Well, you should! Don't make me punch you today! Have you been drinking, again?" He questioned while scowling at me, threateningly forcing his hand against my shoulder.

I was fighting everyone again. I seem to forget that my cousin felt so helpless that he called Elena here. We had already had a brawl earlier this week because of my drunken states and yet, all his concern was for me. I sighed, glancing down at my feet.

"She left, Cugino (cousin)," I whispered.

"Ok, how do you know she left?" He tried.

"The letter is on the coffee table. See for yourself." I gestured towards it before carefully sidestepping him and watching the placement of my feet while finding my way into the kitchen.

I noticed the whiskey decanter on the counter beside the sink, reminding me of having her here the past 24 hours. Picking up the decanter, I tilted it and watched the amber fluid coating the inside surface.

"Ok, but then why are you not..." I heard Giovanni casually strolling into the kitchen, his feet coming to a complete standstill while trailing off.

"Angelo, don't do it." He began, clearly noticing the alcohol in my hand. "Come on, Cugino (cousin)."

I remained silent, staring at the vessel in my hand for a moment longer before slowly tipping it over the sink and watching as the liquid swirled down the drain. I set the empty decanter into the sink then leaned against the edge of the counter.

"Angelo, I don't understand. Why aren't you packing your bags?" Gio asked bemusedly.

"Because her father -"

"Fuck her father!" He cut me off, his voice bellowing throughout the place.

"Fuck him and what he thinks! He has no right to tell you how to feel or what to do! You are being fucking stupid, Angelo! The most stupid I've seen you in all our lives! Can you not see what Elena is saying here?" My cousin's voice was rising by the second and I could feel the energy from his irritation radiating off him. I turned to confront him, furrowing my brows while watching as he held the letter in the air.

"Two things here, Angelo. Firstly, she didn't say the word goodbye. She didn't say goodbye because she doesn't want it to be one. Secondly, reread that last part!" He instructed me, slamming the letter down onto the counter, then turning it to face me and pointing at the last section.

He will choose me above all obstacles and he will declare his choice to any person who dares to question it.

That's what I deserve, Angelo.

I finished rereading the piece, glancing up at Giovanni who was expectantly leaning in closer.

"She is literally telling you what she wants! She is telling you what she expects of you! Prove yourself to her, and to her father! Prove that you do choose her, no matter what!" He exclaimed exasperatedly.