▼ Borderline Personality Disorder ▼

Borderline personality disorder is a mental health disorder that impacts the way you think and feel about yourself and others, causing problems functioning in everyday life. It includes self-image issues, difficulty managing emotions and behavior, and a pattern of unstable relationships.

》With borderline personality disorder, you have an intense fear of abandonment or instability, and you may have difficulty tolerating being alone. Yet inappropriate anger, impulsiveness and frequent mood swings may push others away, even though you want to have loving and lasting relationships.

》"BPD is like the emotional version of being a burn victim. Everything hurts more than it seems to for everyone else, and any 'thick skin' you're supposed to have just isn't there."

Signs and symptoms may include:

An intense fear of abandonment, even going to extreme measures to avoid real or imagined separation or rejection

A pattern of unstable intense relationships, such as idealizing someone one moment and then suddenly believing the person doesn't care enough or is cruel

Rapid changes in self-identity and self-image that include shifting goals and values, and seeing yourself as bad or as if you don't exist at all

Periods of stress-related paranoia and loss of contact with reality, lasting from a few minutes to a few hours

Impulsive and risky behavior, such as gambling, reckless driving, unsafe sex, spending sprees, binge eating or drug abuse, or sabotaging success by suddenly quitting a good job or ending a positive relationship

Suicidal threats or behavior or self-injury, often in response to fear of separation or rejection

Wide mood swings lasting from a few hours to a few days, which can include intense happiness, irritability, shame or anxiety

Ongoing feelings of emptiness

Inappropriate, intense anger, such as frequently losing your temper, being sarcastic or bitter, or having physical fights

Many people who live with borderline personality disorder don't know they have it and may not realize there's a healthier way to behave and relate to others.

Borderline personality disorder is one of a group of conditions called "Cluster B" personality disorders, which involve dramatic and erratic behaviors. Personality disorders are chronic (long-term) dysfunctional behavior patterns that are inflexible, prevalent and lead to social issues and distress.

》BPD usually develops during adolescence or early adulthood. Trauma may be a factor in its development.

Parental neglect and unstable family relationships also have been shown to contribute to an individual's risk for developing this disorder. Other studies suggest BPD may also have a genetic component.

86% of people with BPD stopped meeting criteria for BPD for at least four year.

Women are far more likely to be diagnosed with BPD than men. In fact, about 75% of people diagnosed with BPD are women; that's a ratio of 3 women to 1 man diagnosed with BPD.

》About 70% of people with BPD will make at least one suicide attempt in their lifetimes.

》Over 40% of people with BPD had been previously misdiagnosed with other disorders like bipolar disorder or major depressive disorder.

》The pathophysiology of borderline personality disorder is likely a combination of genetic predisposition combined with early childhood environmental factors and neurobiological dysfunction.

》Unfortunately, there's no way to prevent borderline personality disorder.
BPD is often inherited (passed through families), which means you have an increased risk of developing the condition if you have a family history of BPD. Ask your healthcare provider how to recognize signs of the disorder so you can get treatment as early as possible.

BPD and Bi polar disorder are NOT the same thing. They do share some significant similarities, namely that also causes extreme shifts in mood and behavior. However, those Bi polar shifts are primarily between depressive and manic episodes, or hypomanic episodes, which also involve unusually high energy and activity levels but to a lesser extent.

》People with BPD Can be lovely and empathetic individuals. Perepletchikova, a trained psychologist says. In her experience, people with BPD are often able to understand the feelings of other people to a greater degree. She also believes that many people with BPD are unusually creative because they have a deeper and broader experience of human emotion from which to draw.

BPD historically has been challenging to treat. But with newer, evidence-based treatment, many people with borderline personality disorder experience fewer and less severe symptoms, improved functioning and better quality of life.
But effective treatment takes time, patience and commitment. Treatment may include psychotherapy (talk therapy), medications or both.

》a few tips for coping with BPD:

Seek professional help and try to stick with treatment even when you feel discouraged.

Exercise regularly. Exercise has been shown to improve mood, decrease anxiety, and reduce stress.

Get a minimum of seven to eight hours of per night. Getting proper rest helps with mood regulation and decreases mood swings.Educate yourself about the disorder.

Consider joining a support group.

Set realistic goals for yourself. Be patient and compassionate with yourself as you work on achieving your goals.

Identify and seek out comforting situations, places, and people.