031

! chapter thirty-one !

─── ∙ ~ ✩ ~ ∙ ───

HAVEN WAS JOTTING DOWN some words onto her notebook on the desk in front of her a few days later. Her face had started to clear up, even though there were still a few cuts along her cheeks, she looked a lot better than before. She glanced up when there was a light caw from outside, and her lips turned up into a small smile once she saw Journey hovering behind the window. Glancing around the room, she quickly took notice of the small portion of students. Majority of them were at class, but the remaining seemed caught up in their own worlds to even notice her. Haven bit her lip as she focused on moving the bar, before she leaned down to pull open the window.

Snape had already cut off their mail, one of the main reasons why she was being so secretive about sending Journey out. If he saw any of the letters she was writing to her brother—or even found out that someone on the Dark Lord's side wasn't actually loyal to him, well, she was terrified what would happen.

Haven unfolded the piece of paper, her eyes widening once she realized it wasn't Harry's handwriting. It was Draco's.

I'm sorry I haven't written to you as much as you want me to. I know you said once a week, but that's practically impossible. Things here are absolutely barbaric, even now I'm worried about someone walking in. I'm limited to everything I can do, I think they know something is going on. Although, I will admit, I think I've done a very convincing job at making them think I hate you and your brother.

Haven nearly laughed out loud at the last line, before she pursed her lips together and kept reading. The letter shook in her hands, she hadn't been expecting Draco to reply back. Honestly, with everyone nagging her about the blonde boy being a traitor, she started to have second thoughts. Of course, she wanted to smack herself for thinking that Draco would ever betray them. She knew better.

He has taken over the Ministry. Death Eaters are crawling everywhere, and they're on the lookout for Harry. They know he's after the Horcruxes. You have to warn him—if he's not aware of it already. Your brother is a lot of things, but he isn't exactly bright. And I'm not saying that because I despise him. It's the truth.

I'm almost positive He is going to make Snape start questioning you guys at Hogwarts. He knows there's been some sort of movement inside. He just doesn't know who is leading it. I need you to keep it that way.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. There isn't much I can do, he's watching my every move. I hope that soon this will all be over and we can see each other again.

D.

Haven quickly ripped the letter apart after reading it, and tossed it into the trash can next to her desk. She quickly wrote a letter to Harry, updating him on what Draco had told her, before sending Journey back off. It was risky, she knew, but Haven needed her brother to be informed. She leaned back in her seat, suppressing a sigh just as Jermey walked in, he paused upon seeing the small grin on her face.

"Why are you smiling like a bloody idiot?"

"Jermey, don't stomp on my good mood right now," Haven demanded. "Instead, you should go help your boyfriend unload the next trolley of supplies. He and Neville should be returning any minute."

"I told you to stop calling Jason my boyfriend."

"Is he not?"

She could tell he was holding back a smirk, but instead of answering, Jermey rolled his eyes in fake annoyance, and began to make his way towards the back of the room where the tunnel was. She saw him pull off the portrait from the wall, just in time for Neville and Jason to appear from inside of it. She helped unpack everything from off the small cart they'd brought the materials in on, quickly hiding everything under one of the beds. She lifted up the floorboard, pushing it off to the side as she hurriedly shoved the supplies into the small hole in the floor before anyone else had the chance to see it.

"Nice work," Haven complimented, quickly sliding the board back into place as she stood up. "Any information?"

"Yeah, actually," Neville replied, shutting the portrait from behind him. He glanced over to Jason.

"Aberforth says he's expecting a few people within the next few days," the brunette explained. "He didn't really elaborate, though. He just told us that he's gonna ask us to smuggle them inside the castle."

"Very secretive, as usual," Neville chimed in. Haven shot the boys a small, tired smile.

"Thank you, seriously. You three and Mal have been my rocks these last few months. I don't know where I'd be without you guys."

Jason placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. "We're happy to help."

─── ∙ ~ ✩ ~ ∙ ───

"Any owl seen flying around the building, will be shot and killed immediately," Snape informed a day or two later. He'd called the entire school into the dining hall, which was no longer for eating once more. In fact, there weren't even any tables in the room anymore. They stood in lines, Death Eaters patrolling around to make sure nobody tried to dart out the door. Haven kept her hands clutched firmly behind her back, everyone else doing the same. Her chin was raised as she resisted the urge to let the anger bubbling up in her chest all out. She'd been holding it in for months, at this point, Haven thought she was going to explode. "There is no need to be sending letters of any sort. No exceptions."

Malory shifted from next to her, subtly lowering her head to whisper to Haven. "What the hell are we gonna do now?"

"We'll figure something out," Haven muttered back, barely moving her lips as she kept her eyes trained on Snape, who was pacing back and forth, his black cloak flaring out behind him.

"Back to your corridors!" He ordered, flaunting his hands into the air. Slowly, the room began to fill out as each year marched back up to their rooms. Haven clenched her jaw in annoyance as they made their way back. Surely, if she wasn't being forced to march like they were in boot camp, Haven could've been back to their dorms already. She shook her head, once again remembering that they didn't even have dorms anymore. They were now used for bedrooms for the Death Eaters. She was sickened at the reminder that they were placed above the students at Hogwarts.

Draco was right about one thing, Death Eaters were definitely crowding around every square inch of the planet. She just wanted things to go back to normal.

─── ∙ ~ ✩ ~ ∙ ───

— AUTHORS NOTE

okay so quick question: do y'all think draco writes in cursive or prints it?? also do you think his handwriting is really neat or sloppy?? idk why but these lil things matter like that's so important help

also pls remember to vote because my reads are so high but my votes are so low??? i need ✨validation✨ that my writing is good so please vote ty