034

! chapter thirty-four !

─── ∙ ~ ✩ ~ ∙ ───

HAVEN WAS AWOKEN BY a bright light, and she cracked her eyes open to see the sun shining in through the window. She jolted up in her bed, heart pounding in her chest. The sun hadn't been out in months, it was always covered in dull gray clouds, seeing it was a complete surprise. She reached over to wake Malory, before the room suddenly grew dark again. Disappointment fluttered through her chest as the clouds blocked it out once more, and she fell back into her cot.

Something loud that sounding remotely like a bird flying into the window shook Haven from her sleep again, and her stomach dropped once she saw Journey hovering outside.

"No!" She whisper-shouted, waving the owl off. "No, Journey, go! Get out of here!" She continued to just float there, tilting her head as if she were confused. "Journey, I need you to go to Harry. And stay with him, it isn't safe for you here."

After a moment, Journey made a buzzing sound, before she took off flying away from the school. Haven let a breath of relief escape her lips, before the doors bursted open, and in walked three Death Eaters.

"Everybody up!" One demanded. "We've got a long day ahead of us."

"Shit," she mumbled, glancing over to Malory who tiredly pushed herself up, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. Her curly hair stuck out in all directions, and Haven hadn't realized it until then that she'd been wearing her hair in tight ponytails for the past months. Haven looked back to the Death Eaters. "This can't be good."

─── ∙ ~ ✩ ~ ∙ ───

"I'm sure all of you remember my speech a few weeks ago," is how Snape started his statement. "I certainly do, but incase you need a reminder, there is to be no owls on campus. One of my staff members found one hovering outside of the seventh year window early this morning. Which is why I have called you here today." Haven stiffened from her stance, nervously swallowing. "We did attempt to kill this creature, however, it did manage to slip away. I'll be sure that won't happen again next time." He began to walk up and down the isles. "Since it seems that this owl's owner cannot follow simple directions, I will be issuing a search throughout all of you. I will start with questioning each of you one by one."

"Professor," a feminine voice rang out. Haven recognized it as Pansy's. "Surely you cannot believe that anyone in Slytherin is behind this. I know who the culprit is, and so do you."

"There is to be no talking—" A Death Eater yelled, but Snape held up an arm to shush him.

"Miss Parkinson is correct. Corban, would you be so kind to lead both the Slytherin and Hufflepuff back into their corridors?"

"Yes, headmaster," Corban answered, and Haven watched with a clenched jaw as the other two houses were led out. There was only a small group of them now, and shortly after Snape had all of them lined up for questioning. She resisted against the Death Eater, who suddenly pressed something cold against the side of her neck. Haven glanced down with wide eyes, realizing that it was a knife.