136. The Blood-Doll

AFTER THE CEREMONY, focus shifted to the dining hall for a massive feast

AFTER THE CEREMONY, focus shifted to the dining hall for a massive feast. The room had been decorated for the coronation. Extravagant gold metalwork lined the alabaster walls. Chandeliers dripped with glittering diamonds hung above the long, narrow table that stretched from one side of the room to the other. The table itself was decorated with a mixture of multicolored wildflowers and brilliant evergreen foliage. A golden plate sat in front of each chair, complete with matching golden silverware.

Ravenna found herself seated opposite from Eoin, surrounded by women — all wives and daughters of various lords and noblemen. Each one wore luxurious silks and furs. Their hair was styled fashionably and their necks glittered with jewels. They all eyed Ravenna cautiously, with cheerful smiles plastered to their faces. It made her nervous.

Women of high status could be vicious, whenever they please.

The two closest to Ravenna leaned in closer to her. One sported beautiful turquoise silks and her dark hair was pulled back into an elaborate braid. The other wore bright red silks and a massive ring on each finger. Her hair was the color of sunshine.

"I suppose the pressure on you must be intense now," the noblewoman with dark hair said. She smiled warmly at Ravenna and added, "At least, considering that there is no immediate heir to the throne currently. In fact, I'm sure that any day now a pregnancy announcement will be made!"

Ravenna forced her lips to form a smile. "Ah, well we only just got married," she said. Her nerves were evident in the sound of her voice. The last thing that she wanted to think about was becoming pregnant with Eoin's child. "We have some time before it comes to that."

The other noblewoman laughed loudly. Her hand pressed flat against her chest, her many rings glistening against the candlelight that flooded the hall. "Oh my,'" she managed to snort out. "That is quite amusing."

The dark haired woman laughed as well. They both laughed and laughed — and watched her intently, their concern growing noticeable when Ravenna did not laugh with them. "Surely you are joking," one of the women mused.

Ravenna smiled at them kindly. "What do you mean?"

"Oh dear," they both chimed in unison and shared a frown. The women leaned forward slightly, closer to Ravenna.

The woman with many rings spoke first. "Naturally, producing an heir to the throne is the Queen's duty. It is your sole purpose for existing," she explained, so matter-of-fact. "It is essential to the survival of our kingdom. You were created with the sole purpose to birth our future ruler. The entire kingdom is counting on you."

"You obviously will not be alone during the process," the other woman added. She shifted around in her seat slightly, her turquoise silks almost flowing around her body like ocean water. She smiled kindly and touched Ravenna's hand. "You have an entire palace at your disposal. As queen, you have access to the best of the best."