23 | E

Emmanuelle

I slightly groaned as I made my way to the stairs. I took two steps up when my attention was caught by the sound of someone mumbling. I stopped to listen to it, but it quickly disappeared. After a few seconds of continuing to stand in the same place the mumbling was once again to be heard.

I gulped as I walked back down and quietly tried to look in the direction that the sound was coming from. It was quite dark, but the sound was coming from the library which was just around the corner from the stairs. I slowly made my way to the library and hid behind the wall, next to the door.

Poking my head into the room, I tried to see who it was but it was simply too dark. I took a deep breath and walked in, heading straight for the light switch. The lights came on and the person groaned, mumbling a curse word under his breath.

I breathed out as I looked at him. There Marco sat in one of the comfy reading chairs. His fingers in his hair, his head bowed down, elbows rested on his knees. Next to him there was a half empty bottle of whiskey that he had started drinking before we had dinner.

"Marco?" I softly called out, receiving no response.

I was about to walk towards him when Tia's words crossed my mind. "Sometimes to help— is to let things play out on their own.''

I closed my eyes for a millisecond and turned on my heel, ready to walk out and mind my own business.

"This is his own fucking fault, you know."

I stopped and carefully turned to face him with my lips pressed together and my eyebrows raised up.

"This—" he hiccuped as he pointed to the wall. "This wouldn't have happened if he trusted me." The tone of his voice traveled between high and low.

He took another gulp of his drink before he put the bottle back down. His eyes squeezed shut as he swallowed.

"Okay." I softly said, holding my hands up to him. "Maybe you should put the bottle away."

Marco let out a hysterical laugh as if he was watching a comedy show.

He shook his head as his eyes slowly fluttered open and closed. "You— nobody. Nobody trusts me. Why?"

I kept quiet, my lips still pressed together.

"I make one—" He held up his right index finger. "One mistake and now I'm the bad guy." He rambled on as he let out a loud sigh. His shoulders slouched down.

"Okay, stop— you need to stop drinking." I snatched the bottle out of his hand and put it on the table, out of his reach. He extended his arm to grab it but I swatted his arm away. He growled and whined like a child.

I looked at him, deciding that taking him to his room would be a good idea. The guy smelled like alcohol and looked like he was about to pass out. I wrapped my arm around his waist and pulled him to stand up.

"I need you to move your legs, can you do that?"

"Hhm." he nodded with a smile.

I wrapped his right arm around my neck whilst my left arm was wrapped around him to keep him from falling down. The difference in our height as well as our built made it challenging for me to help this man up the stairs, yet I did it.

We stumbled quite a few times along the way, bumping into the walls which made him laugh whilst I panicked, hoping that no one would wake up. When we finally reached his room I pushed him against the wall with my body to keep him from crashing into the ground as I opened the door.