ARC 14 : LET'S RUN, FOX

Chapter 201: Let’s Run, Fox (XVII)

Shang Ke had been sitting in his yard carving wood when he suddenly felt something on his tail. He turned around and found the two kits standing behind him, both grabbing onto his tail with miserable faces.

From the looks of it, Kellona was probably being mean to them again. Does she not know how to repent after being punished once?

Shang Ke placed down what he was holding and washed his hands in the water basin. He took the fruit from the table and gave it to them while standing up. He decided to take them out for a stroll to help them feel better.

While Shang Ke walked ahead, the kits held onto his tail with one hand while eating their fruit with the other, blindly following wherever he went.

“Oh my, Yanu. Are you taking your sons out for some air?” One man teased him.

A group of laughter erupted from their surroundings. The scene of three pretty foxes taking a walk was very heartwarming.

Shang Ke smiled at them and continued his stroll around the tribe. Other children who saw them also snickered and laughed as they ran up and followed behind Shang Ke, forming a line.

Today was a rest day for the children, but since all the children had gathered, Shang Ke decided to take them to harvest mushrooms. The mushrooms were ones he had transplanted during the winter. It was roughly time to harvest them. The environment here was very suitable for growing wild mushrooms. Shang Ke planted some at every dark and moist spot within the tribe. As the spring warmth came, mushrooms started sprouting everywhere. Grey ones, white ones, light brown ones. Some gorgeous poisonous ones would also mix in once in a while. He wondered if it was because he had been a mushroom spirit before, but the mushrooms he personally planted all grew very well.

While Shang Ke harvested mushrooms with the children, he also got rid of the poisonous ones.

There were many ways to cook mushrooms. Stir-fry, quick-fry, braised, deep-fry, salad, soup, brewed, steamed, roasted and so on. They had a wonderful flavor and nutrients. Although most beastmen did not like eating vegetables, as long as Shang Ke made it, basically no one refused. Even if what he cooked was mud, they would still eat it. Doesn’t their Chief particularly like to eat that mud buried pheasant?

Every child had their pockets full of mushrooms after the harvest and happily followed Shang Ke home.

They held a clear understanding that if they seriously participated in learning and working, Shang Ke would give them a reward. Sometimes it was food, sometimes it was a toy. Other times there were clothes and cute daily life items.

Someone amongst them had gotten a whole collection of carved lion tableware. Another had gotten a cool set of clothes. Everyone had been so envious of them.

When Shang Ke made it home, he kept the children for a while longer to make them a table full of delicious food. He had them taste for themselves the flavor of freshly picked mushrooms they worked hard to harvest.

When Mutu returned home, the children had already cleared off everything. Even the desert wasn’t spared. But Mutu did not worry, he knew that his fox would always leave him a portion.

After sending the children home, Mutu spoke to Shang Ke while eating, “Let’s go together to hunt tomorrow. I found out where the black oil came from.”

Shang Ke nodded and was not surprised. After all, the lion tribe’s loch bull squad had almost mapped out the entire mountain.

On the other hand, the two kits carried home a piece of honey flatbread each. When they saw Kellona standing by the door staring at them coldly, they immediately handed the bread over, timidly calling her, “Mommy.”