Chapter 27

Adalee's POV

"I have to do this, stay in there and be safe." With that, Victoria left.

Mermaid hunters are attacking, and I'm stuck in our room. The fight is on the other side of the castle, Victoria leaving to fight my sister.

I know my sister is the cause of this, it all being my fault. If I had just left a note to tell her I was going back to Victoria and that I love her, none of this would be happening.

I feel Victoria's emotions, our bond as strong as can be. My heart aches for her to be safe by my side.

Knowing she is in danger makes me feel guilty, the ache in my chest worsening. This is all my fault, I wish there was some way to stop it all.

Maybe if I just explain to my sister that Victoria is my soulmate, she'll leave and no one has to die.

With that in mind, I make my way to the sound of clashing weapons.

The walk there is completely silent except for the far away screams of the battlefield. I just hope my sister will listen to me.

I arrive, and I quickly find my sister and my mate battling it out roughly, in the center of everyone. Others are fighting, but many stand back, waiting to see who wins.

Running to Victoria's side, dodging the mini battles going on amongst opponents, I let out a silent scream as Victoria gets distracted by me and my sister takes it as the chance to finish her. Victoria's eyes met mine, seeing the horror on my face.

She could sense me nearby, causing her to look around for me, giving Alyssa the perfect opportunity to end it.

I run faster, Victoria's disappointed eyes on me. I should have listened to her, but I didn't want anyone to get hurt. Now, my mate will probably die because of me.

Deciding that I will not let that happen, I jump into Victoria's arms, clinging onto her front to protect her from any blow that may come.

A sharp pain erupts in my stomach, and a warm liquid spreads throughout my shirt.

"Oh no. What have I done?" I hear in the distance, the voice sounding like my sister's.

Closer to me, a voice fills my ears, ringing in my brain. "Stay with me, my love. You'll be okay."

The sound of fighting all stops, leaving a deafening silence. The lack of sound makes me uneasy, before my vision gets spotty.

I can't focus on much except the warm hands on my face as my eyes close, for possibly the last time.