Chapter 4: His Story

Adrien woke up to an empty bed and a quiet household. He looked at his hand as he saw a slight discoloration, a sign that he used to wear a ring on it, specifically his engagement ring. He knew that what he said was wrong, but what else was he supposed to do. He tried to collect his thoughts, given that he'll sure be bombarded by reporters today, some are probably outside right now.

At times like these he usually has Plagg to tell him what to do, but the tiny god was just as speechless as him. This was the first time after receiving his miraculous did he ever feel alone again. Now that he brought it up, his father's in prison after being outed as Hawkmoth, Natalie, as well, is being confined, but under medical professionals for her condition. His mom, finally dead and buried to rest in peace under the beautiful mausoleum surrounded by flowers that was created just for her.

Looking at the clock, he knew that he would need to get up for work. He sighed as he forced himself out of the bed. He entered the bathroom and began splashing water on his face. He looked at the mirror and saw his reflection steering back at him. He pointed a finger at it and said, "You did nothing wrong. The whole break up was for the best. For her best," he whispered the last part. He took a deep breath and exhaled it with the same pressure. He could feel his companion's eyes burning on the back of his head. He turned towards those eyes and shouted in desperation, "Say something, anything! Please, I can't take the silence anymore!"

Plagg gloomily looked away also unsure what to say. But he felt his holder's frustration, anger, and helplessness. It seemed like even the human understood the emotions going through his mind. He fell to the floor as her curled up like a small child bawling out in hopelessness.

"Why am I still like this? Why can't I do anything? Aren't I supposed to be free?" he murmured to himself as he tried to choke back the tears. This time the tiny cat approached him and gave him a reassuring hug telling him, "It's alright, it'll be alright. I'll always be here for you."

Adrien sniffed back some hiccups as he wiped a tear off. "Did I really make the right choice?" he asked for some reassurance. Plagg wiped off the tear in his other eye and answered, "For her, yes. But for you, you're going to have to wait it out a little longer. But I'll help you out, kid."

He smiled gratefully at his friend, this gave him strength to move forward. He knew how painful and horrible this would be for the both of them, but through it all once he can tell her there could be hope for them afterwards.

He finished cleaning himself then got dressed as he dreaded the horde of reporters camped outside of his house. He quickly got out and was greeted by his driver. He entered the car as his chauffeur drove him to his workplace.

As expected, once the gates opened and out went the car, flashes of cameras and dozens of small time reporters and tabloid writers, began shouting out their questions. He sighed, knowing that it'll take a while for them to be the talk of the city.

He leaned against the window as he turned his attention back to his business meetings later. Once they were safely inside the building, he got out and headed to his office. He could feel all eyes on him as his employees began whispering as he passed by. He replaced his solemn look with his father's cold stare, making everyone gossip in a more quiet tone. He greeted his secretary, Aurore, as she took his coat from him.

"Have you finalized my meeting with the advertising department?" he asked as he shrugged his coat off. "Yes, sir. It starts in fifteen minutes," she replied and she took it.

"By the way," she said with a bit distaste in her mouth. "Lila Rossi asked me to let her in your office as a surprise," she added as she forcefully hung his coat.

This action made him wince, given that Aurore usually expresses her feelings in private. But when her words sunk into him he turned to her with surprise. "You did what?" he asked a bit flabbergasted. She sat down while twirling her now short hair and explained, "I asked her to leave and schedule an appointment, but she opted to enter when the interns arrived and began congratulating her."