Chapter 19

Neve's POV

I wait around impatiently, standing in the usual parking spot. The time flies by with my racing thoughts, all of them about Ember.

Is she okay? Is she hurt? Did the Hunters capture her?

My mind always goes to the worst case scenario, trying to prepare me for the truth.

The truth is that she probably forgot about me.

Having enough just standing around and waiting for her, I start walking towards the house I now call home. Crossing the street, I reach the sidewalk, a perfect little rock waiting for me. Taking the golden opportunity to entertain myself, I kick the rock, focusing my efforts onto that.

With so much interest in the rock, I don't notice the car pulling up beside me. I do notice when a car door slams, the loud sound echoing in the quiet streets. The same tall guy from earlier stalks towards me, a menacing look on his face.

I back away a step or two, wanting distance. This guy had a knack for getting into my personal space.

"Where is your girlfriend? Did she leave you so soon?" He taunts, trying to get a rise out of me.

"She's busy," I say, my tone of voice firm and strong, not backing down.

"Well, lucky me. She won't be here to protect you when I do this." Fist meets face, knocking me over at the strength of the impact. Blood runs down from my lip, but I ignore it, trying to focus on keeping my gift in check. This guy might be a douche but I don't want to seriously hurt him.

Standing up, I brush the dirt off of me, keeping calm. "Don't make me hurt you, walk away now," I warn, giving him an out. This just makes him laugh, in disbelief that I think I could beat him.

Sure, he has more strength, but I'm faster and my blows will hurt more with my strategy.

He finally sobers up, his laughs pausing as he realizes I'm completely serious. "What do you think you could do to me, little girl?"

That's the last straw.

I focus the stream of power into my tightly closed fist, and imagine it hardening around my hand.

Using my new weapon, I punch him square in the nose, a satisfying crack being heard, ringing throughout the streets.

Releasing my hold on my power, it rushes back to my chest, ready for the next time I summon it.

Walking away, I leave the huge guy on the ground, blood painting the street.

I make my way home, reveling in the peaceful silence.

The rumble of a motorcycle is heard in front of me, a sound I would recognize anywhere. Looking up from the rock I was still kicking, I see Ember looking at me, her eyes filled with worry and guilt.

"I'm so sorry, I never meant to be so late." She inspects me, her eyes narrowing on my busted lip. "Are you bleeding? What happened?"

"Just a big guy with a small problem. He was jealous. Don't worry, I took care of him," I reassure, putting my hand on her arm in a manner of comfort.

She smiles at me, wrapping her arm around my shoulders. Pulling me close, she kisses my forehead lovingly. "I'm supposed to protect you from guys with massive egos. I'm sorry you had to protect yourself. Next time I'll be there."

"Don't worry about it. Thanks to you, I can protect myself. I wouldn't have stood a chance against him if you hadn't taught me everything you have. Thanks, Ember, truly. For everything." I look up at her, only to see her already staring at me.

She leans down, connecting our lips in a blissful kiss. After she pulls away, I pout, sad it's over. "You are so cute," she laughs, poking my lips with her index finger.

Rolling my eyes, I move to get onto the motorcycle, but she stops me. "You're welcome, Neve. I would give you the world as long as you stay by my side." She pauses for a second, before joking, "And I guess I am a pretty good trainer."

"Yes you are. Now let's get back home, I'm hungry." Patting my stomach to make my point, Ember laughs before putting her helmet on me.

Grinning, she looks at me with happiness. "You called the house 'home,' I never expected you to."

"Well, you guys have invited me into your family and home, making it mine in the process."

"I'm just glad, I didn't want to smother you or anything, but I did want you to feel comfortable and at home." Ember hops onto the bike, me climbing on behind her. Wrapping my arms around her waist, I put my head on her back, relaxing now that I'm around her.

"Well, it worked. I'm never leaving, I'm like a stray cat you fed once and just keeps coming back," I joke, smiling when her laugh fills my ears.

"Well, good thing I like cats, Kitten."