Chapter 21

Neve's POV

Our lips meet, the soulmate bond running through us.

Everything makes so much sense now after learning that we are soulmates last night.

Now, we are inseparable. It's the weekend, and Ember and I have spent the entire morning making out. It just feels so natural and right, like our lips were made for each other's. Maybe they were.

Pulling away, Ember whispers softly, "I hate to stop, but there is a gang mission we need to go on."

That grabs my attention, making me perk up out of my love dazed state. "My first mission, sign me up!"

I wanted to play a bigger role in the gang, as Ember is the leader, but I never knew where to start. I guess this is her way of helping me.

"It's a simple scouting mission, we are seeing who is sending the shipments for one of our rivals. No need to engage." Ember narrows her eyes at my excitement, not liking that I'm wanting to dive head first into danger. "I'm leading a team and Mark is leading a team. You are with me so I can protect you."

Her decision is final, I can tell by the tone of her voice. It's not a question, but a command.

I nod, ready to finally help out. With all I've learned with my continuing training sessions, I'm ready for anything thrown my way.

Now, we are running on top of large shipping containers, metal clunking underneath our feet. Trying to be as light footed as possible, I land on the next container softly. I hear a cry underneath my feet. It must be coming from the container I'm one, no one around me has made a sound.

Ember holds up the rear, keeping an eye on us, while Ally takes up the front. Ally is one of the most experienced in this work, except for Ember and Mark. 

I pause, wanting to investigate the cry. Ember stops beside me, her dark clothes making it harder to see her. "What's wrong?" She whispers, trying to be quiet so we don't draw attention.

"I heard a cry from beneath us. I think a person is in the container, I'm going to check it out." With that, I jump off the high box, ignoring Ember's warnings.

The box is about ten feet high, so I try to land without injuring myself. Landing roughly, my ankle twists, making me muffle a cry, knowing someone needs my help.

There is a lock on the container's door, and no way to unlock it. Focusing on the silver stream of energy in my body, I hold the lock in my hand, imagining the ice forming throughout it. Ice forms on the lock, and I back away to kick it. Before I can, a hand lands on my shoulder.

My heart beats wildly in my chest, not knowing who it is at first. I quickly calm down when I see Ember scowling at me. "I told you not to do anything dangerous, and you decide to do this? I'm never taking you on a mission again."

Still hearing cries, I kick the frozen lock hard, intending to break it. It shatters, leaving the door able to be opened.

"I may be mad at you, but that was hot."

Rolling my eyes, I focus on the task at hand, saving whoever is trapped in there. Opening the container door as quietly as I can, I come face to face with a girl about my age, who is sobbing uncontrollably.

She's in a metal chair, her hands zip tied behind her back.

As I walk in, Ember walks in begrudgingly, before her eyes widen at what she sees.

"Are you okay? Can you tell me what happened?" I ask as Ember moves behind her to burn the zip ties off.

The fire that appears from Ember's finger lights up the dark box. It also makes the girls eyes widen, before she asks, "There are others like me?"