Episode 1

"Foxfire!" Sophie called. The Leapmaster's crystals rotated, and the light reflected off of one, creating a shimmering path. The light lit up her turquoise eyes, flashing off of her Ruewen crest.

Flashing a bright smile that matched the light shining down, she stepped into the beam and let the warm feathers take her away.

Sophie stepped into the orientation building at Foxfire, scanning the room for her friends.

"Sophie!"

Hearing her name, she turned and grinned at her friend, saying, "Dex! Hi! Where are Biana and Fitz?"

Dex shrugged, "I don't know. Biana said that they were on their way, but Alden needed their help with something. But they should be here any minute."

As he spoke, Fitz and Biana glittered onto campus and made their way over to Dex and Sophie.

"What did Alden want?" Sophie asked.

"Nothing, he just needed us to carry something up to his room."

"What are you guys doing, meeting here without me? Anyone would think you were up to something," A familiar voice sounded over Sophie's shoulder, and she turned, seeing a handsome boy standing with his trademark smirk on his face, shaking carefully styled blond hair out of ice blue eyes. "But seriously, you should be up to something! It's been so long since we've pranked Dame Alina...."

"No, Keefe," Sophie shook her head, unable to stop the smile from working its way onto her face. "I am not getting detention again!"

"Ruewen, Ruewen, Ruewen. Live a little," Keefe needled, wrapping his arm around Sophie.

"No! My parents were just a smidge mad that I got in trouble for putting reekrod in Alina's desk! Not again!" Sophie crossed her arms.

Biana, Dex, and Fitz watched, amusement dancing in their eyes. "How about we listen to announcements?" Biana asked. "They're about to start."

"Fine," Keefe pouted. "But I will wear you down. I'm sneaky that way."

Sophie's response was drowned out by Dame Alina's voice.

"Good morning, prodigies!" Her projection smiled, shaking caramel hair out of her face. "Congratulations to our newly manifested phaser, Bex, and frosters, Lex and Rex Dizznee!" Spotlights shone down on the triplets, illuminating their faces.

Instead of the applause Alina was probably going for, the room filled with whispers. Rex, Bex, and Lex looked around hopefully, then down at their feet, quiet for the first time in their lives.

"Come on, guys!" Dex muttered to his friends. He started clapping, and Biana immediately followed, Fitz, Sophie, and Keefe joining them. Soon, scattered applause ran around the room.

"Well..." Alina was obviously flustered, but continued her announcements.

Sophie zoned them out, instead focusing on Dex, who was staring at the ground. When orientation was over, she went to put a hand on his shoulder, but Biana beat her to it.

"Dex, I'm sorry."

"It wasn't your fault," He mumbled. "And you tried to help. But I guess people just hate the idea of every child of a bad match manifesting."

"No, Dex, people were just surprised. They don't hate you, or them!"

"But shouldn't this make things better for your family now?" Sophie tried. "Because the triplets can be in the nobility?"

"Maybe... But... I don't know. I have to get to class." Dex trudged off toward his locker. Biana made to follow, but Sophie put a hand on her arm, shaking her head. She'd known Dex long enough to know that he wanted to be alone.

She headed to her own locker and licked open the door. And gagged. It tasted like Iggy burp mixed with vomit; it had obviously been Elwin's pick today. Ignoring the urge to swipe at her mouth with her sleeve, she opened her bag where she kept emergency Prattles, popping one into her mouth before heading to her first class, Elementalism.

...

Sophie made her way to her normal lunch table from her Telepathy session with Tiergan and sat next to Keefe, with Fitz on her other side. She spotted Tam making his way toward them, and called, "Where's Linh?" The twins usually walked down together.

"Still in her Hydrokinesis session." Tam rolled his eyes. "She wanted to try something, apparently, and it couldn't wait until Thursday."

"Okay, I'll save her a spot," Fitz flashed a perfect smile.

Sophie tried to smile, even though his grin was extra large today.

Dex slumped into the cafeteria with Biana at his side. Their heads were close together, and they were talking quietly. Dex looked up for a second, and Sophie caught a glimpse of a tear sliding down his cheek.

But his eyes were dry when he dropped into his seat, and Biana sat next to him. Linh arrived a minute after, her hair and clothes damp from bending water. The friends started to eat, and Fitz asked, "Sophie, how's wedding planning going?"

"Awesome! But also super boring. Jolie is super excited and stuff, but it gets kinda annoying."

"Well, she is getting married," Biana pointed out. "She's gotta be excited."

"Yeah... But is anyone that excited about a wedding?" Sophie fake-groaned.

"I'd be more excited if there were stink bombs instead of cinnacreme," Keefe put in.

"Ew, how does that even work?" Linh crinkled her nose in disgust.

"Simple. You just have to-"

"Anyway," Sophie interrupted before things got disgusting. "We ordered the diamond napkin rings, and the napkins. They are so cute!"

"Oooh, what does her dress look like?" Biana asked.

"I'm not allowed to know. Only Mom and Jolie know right now. They say it's so I don't accidentally tell Brant... But I think Jolie just wants it to be a surprise."

"And, of course, because then you might get jealous and want a wedding of your own... and we know who you'd be marrying!" Keefe teased.

Sophie's cheeks flamed, and she opened her mouth to respond. Luckily, the bells chimed, and she had an excuse to rush off to Multispeciesial Studies, calling out a goodbye behind her.

Editing just so I can just say this.

Can you find it in yourselves to not bash Fitz in the comments, please? This includes threatening him, expressing your wish for him to be harmed, etc. Feel free to be angry and express that anger in the comments. Do not talk about how you want him to be hurt.

I'll admit Fitz isn't portrayed the best in some scenes in this. But he is a fictional character and bashing is not the way to show your frustration.

Thank you!

Please, continue reading :)