21.

Soomin never suspected how much damage had been done to her body. She had thought Namjoon had it worse but in reality she was worse. She was under heavy sedatives to help her recover, oblivious in her drug induced sleep.

Two days after being in the hospital, Namjoon walked to Soomin's room. She was sleeping, her mother slept on the extra bed as well. It was quite early in the morning.

He took a seat beside her, taking her hand in his and just looked at her. He knew she couldn't hear him and she might be very angry when she finds out that he left without even meeting her but he had no choice. He had to leave like a thief in the early hours of the day. For the sake of both of them.

He looked at her, willing his brain to etch her features in his memory. He wanted to look at her for the last time. He didn't know when or if he'd return. Knowing his time was up, he got up, pressing a kiss on her forehead, a single tear escaping his eye and falling onto her cheek. Wiping it away, he whispered. "Live happily, my love. I wish we had met under different circumstances but never forget that I'll love you till the last breath I take."

Soomin felt sluggish. She couldn't move her limbs nor could she open her eyes but even in this state she felt sad. She didn't know why but she only wanted to cry even though she knew she was a free woman once again.

She heard someone calling her. She willed her eyes to open and they did. A bright light made her squint but she could see many people leaning over her. "Miss Kang, can you hear me?" She nodded weakly at the male voice. She noticed her mother's tear streaked face and immediately moved her hand towards her. "Mom.." she rasped out. Mrs. Kang quickly took her hand, sobbing uncontrollably as she kissed her daughter's hand again and again.

The doctor and nurse left the mother daughter alone. They both cried their hearts out as they apologized to each other for the lost years and lives. But no amount of tears or prayers could reverse the events and so they made peace with the present. They thanked whatever force was out there to bring justice to them.

When the ladies had calmed down enough an officer along with Mr. Lee came to take her statement. It took some time to recount the events from the start. A few tears were shed as she told them everything she knew, from his illegal dealings to the number of people he had killed. It was traumatizing to say the least. She could feel herself living every moment all over again and she wished Namjoon was hear to comfort.

When the officer left, she turned towards Mr Lee. "Uncle, do you know where Namjoon is? I want to see him." He shared a troubled glance with her mother and she knew something was wrong. She understood now, why she felt sad. "He left, didn't he?" Mrs Kang nodded, her eyes sad, her heart heavy because she never got the chance to thank the man who saved her precious daughter.

Soomin shed no tears as she understood his reason for leaving. She was going to miss him dearly till she found him again. "He left this letter though." Mrs Kang said suddenly, handing her the unopened letter.

Mrs Kang left her daughter alone as she knew that whatever the content in the letter was, it must be emotional for her and needed to be handled in solidarity.

With shaking hands she opened the letter and read it.

My love, Soomin.

I know you said not to say the words but I can't think of you without thinking of love. You are the best thing that happened to me and I'm thankful for meeting you and making me feel love, which I thought I'd never get.

To be honest, I had always meant to help you though I showed as if I was loyal to Soongho and I'm sure you knew it. I'm glad you never questioned me and I'm glad you gave me a valid reason to dream, rather than the feeling of revenge to take control of me.

I know you are sad that I left without saying anything but you must understand why I had to. I have too many enemies and with the fall of Parks everyone is trying to take over. They will surely come after me because I have grudges with almost all of them.

I don't know if I'll be alive to come to you but I'll try my hardest to come back to you. I'm not asking you to wait for me because being with me would always remind you of a horrible time. I just hope that you remember the good times we shared.

Don't worry too much about me. Focus on taking care of yourself and spending time with your mother. You both need each other.

Lastly, thank you for loving me, thank you for confiding in me and trusting me as your friend. I love you, Kang Soomin. I have no regrets and I hope you don't have any as well.

Forever yours,
Joonie.

Tears fell freely down her face as she read and reread the letter. Stupid man, she thought as she took out the little chain in the envelope. A thick ring dangled from it which was several sizes larger than any of her fingers. Without dwelling on the significance of the ring, she fastened the chain around her neck.

You behave so smart sometimes, Joonie and sometimes you are a complete dumbass, she thought chuckling.