Chapter 1: One Fine Morning

"Gauze!" The young woman with long brunette hair shouted as blood threatened to escape the wound of the middle-aged soldier who lay in front of her. She was blocking the flow of blood with her hand and was applying the amount of pressure needed, but the heart never listened to anyone. "I need gauze!"

"Here." A young red-haired boy ran towards her with the medical tools that she needed.

"Kol, check the other tents. See if anyone else needs my attention," she said frantically. The boy nodded in urgency and ran towards the opening of the tent. "And come back immediately!" She shouted before he was out of earshot.

"Help...." The man croaked in front of her. She knew that he had trouble breathing and needed to make an incision on his neck, but she needed something to hold the wound in its place first.

"I'm going to make a cut on your neck to help you breathe," she informed him. "Nothing to worry about at all." Telling the truth always helped the patients understand what they were going through and it gave them the belief to trust their doctors. "My name is Adaline. I'm the Chief Doctor in this regiment. Do you know your name?" She asked as she cleaned the wound with antiseptic.

"Rahman," he croaked.

"Okay, Rahman. I'm going to make the cut now. Do not hold your breath and be still. Just relax. Everything is going to be fine."

The incision allowed for the windpipe to get exposed to the air. Rahman gasped as he took his first proper breath in the twenty minutes since the patrol team came back. Adaline looked at the other soldiers and treated them the way that they needed. Once she was done, she walked out of the tent to meet the leader of that regiment, who was making his way to look at his fallen soldiers.

"This is an absolute fopdoodle, Colonel Genrich," she complained.

"Adaline, is everyone okay?"

The concern in his voice was genuine and that was the only reason that Adaline answered. "Everyone is fine. Good that they got here in time," she revealed. "Whose idea was it to send a group of immature boys to patrol the edge of the Shadow Fold?"

"Now now, Doctor," he started. "Just because you are working with us, do not forget your place," he said in a calm voice that pricked her more than anything. "You may be here because of your talent of saving people even in their deathbeds, but do not believe that we have forgotten that you are only here because of General Chernoff."

"Do not threaten me, Genrich. Or have you forgotten who was the one who saved your right arm?" She snapped back. "Whoever is making these stupid decisions, tell them to make some possibly sensible ones because next time, I won't be here for immediate attention." 

"There won't be a next time," he snarled

"There won't be a next time," he snarled. "The King's Army is arriving tomorrow, or have you been too busy to remember that?" He asked. "Thank you for treating them. The army owes you more than you think," he said before walking into the tent to look at the soldiers.