Part 23

They were all discussing the preparations when Khushi shouts "Oh no!".

Khushi "Oh no! how will I steal jijaji's (sister's husband) shoes now".

Everyone turns to look at her. Then understanding what she meant they all start laughing. Khushi feels embarrassed and starts looking down.

Arnav looks at her exasperatedly and thinks "God what have I let myself into. Why did I have to say that I will not cross my limits if she keeps behaving like this. How am I going to keep my hands off her and not want to hug her, love her or kiss her."

Arnav "you really are impossible Khushi Kumari Gupta" he mutters to himself.

But this time Khushi has heard it and stares back at him challengingly.

Khushi "No,... you are impossible. See what you have done. I had made so many plans for jiji's marriage and now I won't be able to carry them out. I had planned of stealing jijaji 's shoes and then taking a nice gift from him for returning them."

Arnav "what makes you think that you will be able to steal his shoes"

Khushi challengingly staring back into his eyes "who will stop me"

Arnav "don't you know mmm"

Khushi "what do you think Mr. Arnav Singh Raizada, you will be able to stop me from stealing his shoes. What do you know of all these customs. You have never believed in them."

Arnav "so what don't forget I am Arnav Singh Raizada and can do anything."

Khushi dejectedly "but what's the point of all this now. I will not be able to do it".

Arnav "why not you can still do it"

Khushi shouts at him "how and when. Mmmmm tell me. When I am standing with my Jaimaal (garland) in hand I will ask you to wait so that I can go and to steal his shoes or what"

Arnav confidently "no, I will not wait and won't let you go either".

Khushi "see, that's what I mean. Couldn't you have thought of something else other than this? You had to come up with this one of getting marr....".

Before Khushi could finish her sentence Arnav "Khushiiiiiiiiiii" in a stern voice.

He had been relaxing on the sofa with his hand resting on its back behind Khushi, but on hearing what Khushi was about to say he moves his hands to her shoulders and tightens his grip on her.

Khushi looks up in surprise and finds him staring at her with anger. She immediately realizes that she was about to give away the whole plan and feels sorry. Her eyes convey the sorry to him. He realizes that she has understood what could have happened if she had finished her sentence.

He feels sorry for her too for getting angry at her. In their fight they had forgotten that they were sitting with everyone in the hall and were not near their favorite hideout the poolside. All eyes were fixed on them and all faces had a smile on them.

Anjali "you two have started off again. When will you grow up? You are getting married tomorrow so no need to show us that you don't love each other" in an exasperated tone.

Arnav "its not me di, its Khushi, she started it"

Khushi " no di," she pauses "I mean Anjaliji, he started it"

Anjali "no Khushiji you and Payalji both call me di like my brothers. It feels so good to be loved, cared and looked upto"

Arnav and Khuhsi together "we'll always love you" saying this they exchange glances.

Khushi remembers how Anjali had said that she considered Khushi her younger sister when she had been upset because of her engagement.

Arnav goes and sits on the floor near Anjali's sofa and takes her hands in his. "Di I'll always love you and won't let anything happen to you."

Khushi could feel the pain and fear in his voice. She knew that he was thinking of Sham and what his exposure would do to his Di. She would be shattered and in turn her pain would shatter Arnav. She could not bear to see the pain on his face and goes and sits beside him. She places her hands on his and presses them lightly (as if telling him I am with you and won't let you down).

She then looks at Anjali and says "Di we are always there for you. We will not let anything harm you."

Tears well up in anjali's eyes. She bends and hugs them both.

Anjali "I know, I know I have two loving no three loving brothers and two lovely sister in laws. By the way Khushiji and Payalji what should I call you after marriage? I don't want to call you Khushiji and Payalji always. It seems so distant. I'll call you Bhabhi, specially you Khushiji because I had never imagined that Chote would ever get married. He had been so stubborn and ruthless every time we spoke about marriage that we had almost lost all hopes. But thanks to you he is getting married now."

Akash "that too tomorrow only".

Anjali "I'll always call you Bhabhi as it will give me immense satisfaction and pleasure and will keep reminding me that my Chote is finally married to the girl he loves."

Khushi and Arnav exchange glances and standup as Nani and the rest enter the hall.