13

"So...what went on in that room..you guys looked pretty spooked." Sam said as we walked. "Nothing paranormal, we were just talking." I said with a shrug.

"About what?" Sam asked as I shrugged, "Colby just wanted to get to know me." I said as he nodded. "And?" He asked as I looked straight ahead.

"And, I don't know. I think he made me realize something I've been pushing down for so long." I said and let out a sigh.

I loved Daisy, but since we moved she's changed. I missed my best friend who would ask if I was doing alright, and would actually take the time to let me vent. She always got so sassy with me, telling me my problems weren't as significant as hers.

That might have been true, but that's probably why I shut every emotion off. I couldn't remember the last time I truly let go and had fun, laughing with my friends.

"What's that?" Sam asked as I shrugged, "Daisy may not be the person I thought she was." I said and chewed on my lip. I hated the idea that the one person who was there for me through everything  would leave now, but that's just how it goes.

"Can I be honest?" He asked as I kicked a pebble down the hallway. "It's encouraged." I said as I pointed my flashlight into each room we passed.

"I think she's jealous of you." He said as I scoffed, "why on earth would she be jealous of me?" I asked as he shrugged. "You actually have a personality and you're a hard worker. I've only know you for a day and I can see that." He said as I sighed and shook my head.

"That's very sweet, but I'm not as great as you may think I am." I said as he shook his head. "I think you're great because you actually took the time to research this place. Sometimes Colby doesn't even do that." He said as I laughed, "I need to know where I'm going and what I'm dealing with. This place is seriously intense though." I said as we got down to the surgical wing.

It was way heavier down here than in the other wings. I felt my chest caving in slightly as we walked deeper.

"I don't like it down here." Sam said as I shivered. "I don't either." I mumbled but continued to explore. "I'm gonna start recording now." Sam said as I nodded.

"Hey guys, so we decided to go off in pairs, and I'm lucky enough to be with Violet in the surgical wing." He said to the camera as I walked off towards the medicine cabinet.

"Be careful over there, Vi." Sam said as he walked over towards the little filing cabinet. "I will." I said then opened the cabinet, bringing as dozens of spiders came crawling out of it.

"Ew." I whispered then started to examine the bottles. "Holy shit." I mumbled as Sam came over. "What is it?" He asked, pointing the camera to me.

"It's literally a bottle of penicillin from 1932...why would they need this?" I asked and scrunched my brow at Sam.

"Didn't they do ice pick labotomys?" He asked as I nodded, "all the time....oh shit. They probably used the penicillin to fight the infections from those." I said as Sam nodded, "that's probably what it was..is it safe to be touching those though?" He asked as I shrugged.

"I already did it, so if I die, I die." I said with a laugh then turned the bottles. There were a bunch of test tubes with different unmarked fluids in them. Sam reached for one, but I pulled his hand back.

"I wouldn't touch those. We have no idea what's in them." I said then looked at the little medicine card that was on the inside of the medicine cabinet.

The writing was faded, but I could tell it was intructions for execution. I felt myself getting choked up, thinking about how different mental institutions were now compared to back then.