˗ˋ 24

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH THE RIDDLE IS FIGURED OUT

. . .

"You know, we haven't seen you in months." George commented, as he slid into the chair next to Rosie. Once again, Cedric and Rosie were in the library - where the Hufflepuff boy was, well.. the twins didn't care.

"Yeah. It's almost the holidays - we aren't getting homework, we barely even work in lessons. But you're here in the library." Fred whined, looking over at Rosie, who was staring at them both, eyebrow raised. 

"School might be almost finished for the year, but that doesn't mean that Cedric doesn't need my help any less." Rosie told them, and the twins simultaneously made a noise. 

"Making that bet was the worse thing you've done." Fred continued. "And then you stopped - and we had fun, and now you and Pretty-Boy Diggory have made up." 

"When the bet was off, I spent my time mostly trying to take longer routes to class to avoid talking to him." Rosie hissed, before looking up above the twins, and smiling. "Cedric, hey."

"I can come back if you're busy.." Cedric trailed off, and that was when Rosie knew that he had heard what Fred and George was saying. 

"No." Rosie quickly said, and the twins looked up at her, slightly confused. "Um.. well.. they were just leaving. Go ask Angelina out or plan it George." Rosie continued, blushing and hiding her face.

"How did you know I was going to ask her?" George yelped, and just like that, Madame Pince was by them. "I'm sorry, we were just leaving." 

The twins scuttled out of the library, Madame Pince practically chasing them out. "They were banned in our second year, you know. How they manage to get back in here each and every time, I have no idea." Rosie commented, and Cedric laughed, before falling quiet.

"They don't like me a lot, do they?" He murmured, and Rosie felt a pang of guilt. 

"They're like that a lot. With almost everyone. To them, you're just Quidditch competition." Rosie quickly said, trying to explain to him why Fred and George acted like that - although she wasn't entirely sure why herself. 

"Now more than ever really." Rosie continued, drawing a tiny snitch in ink on the piece of parchment in front of her. "Now that Harry could be the champion, they're very.. insistent on house pride, if that makes any sense at all. They want him to win."

"And because of you." Cedric said, so quietly that Rosie didn't hear him at all, simply continuing her drawing. "Well, if you're sure." Cedric said, a little louder, and she nodded enthusiastically. 

They fell into a lapse of comfortable silence, the two of them reading through their copies of the riddle over and over, making notes on what could maybe been the meaning of it.

"I think I've pretty much got it." Cedric said, almost twenty minutes later. "It's a task in the lake, they've taken something that I'll truly miss." Rosie met his eyes, nodding. "I have an hour to get it back, or I won't, ever." 

"That's dark." Rosie instantly said, and Cedric chuckled, nodding. "Well, the twins will be happy, I suppose." Rosie frowned, before smiling again, hoping that he didn't catch her slip up in expression.

"Oh, you think this is over?" Cedric said, and Rosie's head shot up, no longer looking sorry for herself. "I still need to figure out how I'm going to do this task." He continued.

Rosie looked like she could hug him, but remained seated, a smile on her face. "But lets wait until after the ball?" She suggested, and Cedric agreed.

"Come on, I'll walk you to dinner." The boy said, and the pair spent a few minutes packing up their stuff, before getting ready to go.

"Don't worry, Madame Pince, I fully intend to keep Fred and George as far away from the library as I can this holiday." Rosie called to the librarian, who's pinched expression on relaxed slightly, turning away from the girl. 

"Was she always that stern?" Cedric asked, as the pair exited the library. "I suppose she's never been that crabby with me."

"I'm best friends with Fred and George - you can figure the rest out, I'm guessing." Rosie told him, and he nodded, a smile on his face.

"So has Fred asked you yet." Cedric asked, and Rosie looked to him, confused. "You know, because you mentioned George asking Angelina?"

"Oh.. no he hasn't. I know I'm just going to end up going with the both of them. But considering some band is going to be there, I'm not sure I really need a date." Rosie shrugged.

"You don't have anyone else?" Cedric asked, and Rosie looked up at him. "Well I've already asked Cho, but I'll save a dance?" He offered, and Rosie smiled. 

"I'd like that." They stopped at the top of the hall, looking to each other with a smile. "Your friends are waiting for you, Cedric." Rosie said, stepping away for a moment. 

"Thank you, Rosie." Cedric told her, serious all of a sudden. Rosie froze slightly, before regaining her composure and smiling. "And don't say it's no problem because it's awfully nice of you to do this for me." He quickly continued. 

"Oh shut up, you're getting sappy." Rosie replied, gently shoving his shoulder. But Cedric knew she was secrely pleased, only trying to hide it with her words. 

Cedric would let her deny it all she wanted, but if she knew how helpful she was, the Diggory boy didn't mind having to constantly tell her so.