33: Greenwich Falls

One day after the announcement, we all drove to the Greenwich Falls as planned

One day after the announcement, we all drove to the Greenwich Falls as planned. It was 11 in the morning and I was going through the snacks counters along with Chloe and Amber.

The location of the fest was at the river bank where a concrete bridge adjoined the two sides of the river. A row of reinforced concrete pillars supported the bridge and there were stalls on both the sides of the rivers. The stream flowing underneath the bridge was calm and quiet, the stream velocity increasing only when it nears the waterfall. The crowd could be seen River rafting, Canoeing and kayaking in the stream, while some can simply be seen fishing.

I was having a hot dog with the girls when I saw Carson standing on the bridge, surveying the area like a hawk. This guy looks so suspicious that it would've been better if he had stayed home.

I excused myself and walked over to Carson. He saw me approaching and smiles at me.

"You having fun?" I ask him.

"Define 'fun'," he says.

"It's the opposite of whatever you're doing," I say.

"Am I that bad at this?" Carson asks.

"You're worse," I smile at him.

"Oh, come on, I wore a capri and this airy shirt with unnecessary leaves on it," he says pointing to his shirt.

I laugh at him, "That doesn't help you at all in fitting in," I say.

"I am trying, see, I even left two of my topmost buttons open," he says.

"Just stop looking at everyone like you're the Great Gatsby, owner of it all," I say.

"Okay, old sport," Carson gives me one his dimpled smiles.

"Anything interesting going on here?" A voice came from behind me and I turn around to see who it is.

Derek was wearing a green vest with the number '3' printed on it with Bermuda shorts and a straw hat. He takes a few steps towards us and Carson says, "Nothing, same old, same old."

"So, I checked. There was no notice about the river being unsafe for water sports in the coming weeks by any meteorological department," Derek says, taking a sip from his beer.

"Okay, so it was a ruse. Forget about it and just keep an eye out for anything unusual," Carson says.

"The only unusual thing I could see is you two talking here suspiciously," I say to them.

"She's right, go and have fun and stop looking so suspicious," ironically it was Carson who said this to Derek.

"I? I'm being suspicious? You look like Buzz Lightyear trying to fit in with the space toys in the Pizza Planet," Derek says to Carson.

"All right boys, I think this conversation isn't helping either," I say when I look around and see people eyeing us and talking about us discretely.