CHAPTER 2

There was a thick tension shared between the two brothers. Eli cracked his knuckles when Jonah started making his way closer to the group.

"It's good to see you," Jonah said once he had gotten close enough to Eli to extend a hand.

I was closest to Eli so I was able to see his eyes flick downwards towards his brother's hand before turning away to face the fire.

"You don't need to feign formality," Eli muttered through a clenched jaw.

"I'm just trying to move on from the past," Jonah whispered, so low that I was sure I was the only one besides Eli who heard it.

We created a small circle around the fire. I closed my eyes as I took in its warmth. After spending so many hours wandering around a cold forest, I was thankful for the heat.

Eli was standing on my right and Ben was on my left. I was now aware of the stinging feeling of the cut.

"I'm Jonah Atwood by the way," Jonah said, in a voice loud enough for everyone to hear. "If you haven't guessed by Elisha's warm welcome towards me, I'm his brother. We're from Asteria."

"Don't call me Elisha." Eli almost spat the words out.

"I think it would be good to do some introductions," Juniper said.

One by one, everyone introduced themselves. Following Jonah's introduction came Kira Juno's. I realized as she said her name she was the Kira Juno, a childhood star who had seemed to fall off the face of the earth after a public breakdown a few years ago. Just a few months ago she had reappeared, having been reported doing work for local charities in Ignis, the province she was from. Well... a few months ago from what I could last remember.

After Kira, Junius and Juniper Gridley introduced themselves. Juniper informed us that they were actually twins. They were from Canaan, but Junius was quick to inform us all that he was currently living in Ehix. When he said this, my heart rate quickened and I could've sworn he glanced in my direction for a second before turning away.

Rhody Heaton was the woman with the electric gaze. Her dark skin looked like it was glowing in the low light and her eyes danced from person to person as she told us she was from Tharrow. Something about her intrigued me. Perhaps it was her general presence, it being unlike anyone else's I had ever seen. But maybe it was just intimidation.

Asher Isaacs, the blond boy that had accompanied Juniper from the forest, was from Nox. You could tell he was from Nox by the way he spoke. His voice had a mid-Naceon drawl that only those from Nox, Grayda and Procks had.

Then it was Ben's turn. As he introduced himself, I felt a jolt in my stomach, like I was going to vomit, and I might have, had there been anything in my stomach. I knew what was coming.

"Opal Avila," I said, swallowing deeply. "I'm from Emerisle."

They reacted just as I thought they would. Shared, concerned glances, averted eye contact and awkward shuffling feet greeted my announcement. Even Ben reacted like everyone else. The only one who didn't react negatively was Eli. In fact he didn't react at all, which I guess is better than reacting poorly.

Emerisle was the poorest, smallest province in Naceon. It was forgotten or shunned, unvisited by tourists and above all the biggest disappointment to the nation. No one wanted to associate with those from Emerisle and that was fine. Everyone there knew how to take everything with a grain of salt, deal with the unfortunate in stride and carry on with our lives as if we weren't a joke to the rest of society because al diablo con ellos.

"Is there any way to know if we're waiting for anyone else?" Eli asked. I was pretty sure he was trying to change the subject. 

"Oh yeah, I got a letter in my bag," Kira said, as she turned to dig in her backpack. She held up a small paper that glowed orange in the firelight. She cleared her throat. "Dear, Opal, Juniper, Rhoda, Jonah, Ruben, Kira, Junius, Asher and Elisha. If this is being read aloud, it can be assumed that you are all together and that you have found the shelter. Please wait for further instructions."