Episode 4

"Sophie, get up!"

Sophie opened her eyes, and experienced a strong sense of deja vu; Edaline was in the same spot as the day of the fitting, and Jolie was standing over her, shaking her arm. She glanced at the time and groaned. It was only seven in the morning.

"Up!" Jolie flicked her cheek. Hard.

"I'm up, I'm up!" Sophie sat up, warding off attacks with her arms. Then she shot out of bed with a gasp. "Today's the wedding!"

"Yeah, I know!" Jolie rolled her eyes. "Now that you're up, bye!" She sped out of the room to the kitchen, where Grady was setting out food. Sophie heard her yell, "The custard bursts don't go with the savory foods!" Grady's response was inaudible, but it made Jolie freak out.

Sophie rushed down the stairs to comfort her sister, but Edaline was already there, gently rubbing her back.

"Why am I so tense and nervous? Is it a sign that I shouldn't be getting married?" Jolie asked, tears dripping down her face.

"It's just wedding jitters, okay? Everyone gets them." Edaline ran a hand through Jolie's hair.

"Even you? When you were marrying Grady?"

"Even me," Edaline reassured her.

"But I don't get why. I mean, why would you be nervous when you get to marry this?" Grady joked.

Sophie giggled and scooted the rest of the way down the stairs. Jolie stood up, looking more determined.

"Okay, guys, we have a lot of stuff to do. Let's go!" The bride-to-be clapped her hands together authoritatively.

Sophie changed into a simple gray tunic over black leggings and pulled her hair back to get started setting the crystal tables that Edaline was conjuring into place. The gnomes laid the iridescent tablecloths down on top, and Edaline beckoned Sophie over.

"Look," she whispered, making sure Jolie was out of sight and earshot before pressing a button on the side of the head table. Instantly, lights pulsed on the tables, and with the tablecloths draped over, the tables shimmered and shone with hundreds of colors, not too bright, but unable to be missed. Edaline clicked the button again, and the lights changed colors. They were now lavender, Jolie's favorite color, with streaks of turquoise mixed in. The effect was stunning, and when Edaline clicked the button again to turn it off, Sophie was unable to speak.

"Is it good? It looks good?" Edaline asked, as though it might not be absolutely gorgeous. When Sophie didn't respond, she said, "It's too much, isn't it. I just thought that-"

"No, no!" Sophie gasped, regaining the use of her vocal cords. "No, it's amazing! I love it! And so will Jolie."

"Great!" Edaline beamed. "Alright, now finish setting the tables, and then help Grady with the food. Make sure he doesn't sneak any mallowmelt."

Sophie laughed and nodded, heading to the next table over.

Only one hour later, everything was ready, with the help of the gnomes.

"Okay, now everyone, get dressed! We only have two hours until the guests arrive!" Jolie clapped her hands again and shooed them all towards their rooms. "Mother, I will need your help once you're dressed, but I can do most of it myself."

Edaline nodded and rushed up to her room, Jolie hot on her heels. Sophie was about to follow when Grady said,

"Why do you guys need two hours to get ready?"

Sophie just shook her head at him, a hint of a smile on her face, before running after her sister. Grady followed her up the stairs, an amused grin curling his lips.

Once up in her room, Sophie slipped into the gown she had picked out, marveling at how comfy and silky it was. She looked into her mirror, and Aaina popped up.

"Ooh! That is super cute! The wedding's today, isn't it?" The figure in the mirror asked.

"Yup!" Sophie responded, fastening a diamond necklace above her throat. It hung just below her collarbone, matching the specks on her skirt. She slipped on her diamond turquoise heeled sandals and attached matching diamond earrings to her ears. Slipping on a crystal bracelet with threads of turquoise, she turned to Aaina and said, "What makeup should I use?"

"Hmmm..." Her friend deliberated. "Pink lip gloss. And add just a hint of eyeshadow. Put on lots of mascara though."

Aaina continued to instruct her, and when she was done, Sophie thanked her and rushed out of the room, calling for Edaline.

"I'm here!" Her mom called from inside Jolie's room. Sophie paused outside the door.

"Can I come in?" She asked, unsure whether she was allowed to see the dress yet.

"I guess," Jolie answered, and Sophie pushed open the door. And gasped.

"Oh, Jolie, you look amazing!"

And she did. Her dress was mostly white, but at the bottom, there were patterns that looked like lavender fire. The skirt was floaty and puffy, and the many layers made it look as though Jolie was standing in colorful flames. But it didn't inspire fear; it was beautiful, making Sophie think that her sister was walking through fire.

The dress was sleeveless, and the top was covered in a lavender lace that was also flame designed.

Jolie's blond hair was in an intricate design, half up half down, the front braided across her head and held back with diamond and lavender hair clips. The back was softly curled and the tips dyed lavender as well. Her makeup lit up her face while bringing out the softness, highlighting her eyes and bringing out the blush in her cheeks.

The overall effect was gorgeous, and Jolie looked like a beautiful fire goddess.

"I love it!" Sophie sighed, admiring her sister from all angles.

"Thanks," Jolie said, almost shyly, even though she was never ever shy.

"Now, you are not allowed to move until I come to get you," Edaline said sternly. "No sitting, touching your face, or lifting your skirts until I say you can. We can NOT risk wrinkling the dress or smudging your makeup. And don't even get me started on the hair."

Jolie laughed. "Don't worry, I'll make sure all your hard work doesn't go to waste."

"Thank you." Edaline turned to Sophie. "I suppose you want me to do your hair too?"

"Yes, please." Sophie sat down on a stool, and Edaline's fingers began to work through her head, weaving and tugging gently. The rhythmic movement was soothing, reminding Sophie of when her mother used to braid her hair every day. Edaline finished, and Sophie stood up and looked in the mirror.

Vertina gasped. "You look... really good," the figure in the mirror told her.

"Thanks," Sophie blushed. And she did. Her hair was braided down her back, starting on top of the head and curling around before spiraling around her shoulders loosely.

Edaline placed a hand on her heart. "If any of your boys could see you..."

Edaline didn't finish the sentence- or name the boys- and for that, Sophie gave her a hug.

"Okay," Edaline took a breath and let it out. "The guests will be arriving any second. We should start heading down. But not you," she stopped Jolie from taking a step. "You will come down later."

Jolie nodded her head, frowning.

Sophie and Edaline started heading out of the room, and were about to go downstairs when they heard a loud crash outside, followed by a squawk and a bang.

"No," Sophie whispered. Maybe she wouldn't be able to keep her promise.