Chapter Six: You Look Like You've Seen a Ghost

It didn't take too long for Chan Lee to arrive at the closest Street Market available in the city centre. She had taken a train ride for about ten minutes and then walked for the rest of the way.

Fruits. Vegetables. Then straight back home.

She walked at a moderately fast pace, quite eager to speed run through the two levels of the emporium to get her goods and leave right after. Glancing idly, she watched people go about their business despite the immense heat of the sun.

It was a little surprising.

There was a large crowd, although it was still incomparable to the endless horde that roamed during the night. That was a good thing, she didn't like too many people or coming in contact with them. It also helped that this was a wet market, most people were at the business district or fancier districts on weekends.

"I think I made the right decision." She spoke to herself softly. Bringing Xue along would have either led to him panicking at the sheer number of people or tugging her at the stalls like an eager bunny.

She bit back a snicker and started her trek up to the second floor of the open market—the fruits and vegetables were available there.

Peaches.

Sweet, soft and juicy fruit.

Chan Lee drooled at the sight of the fruits displayed in one of the vendor's stalls. She had already bought some apples, pomelo, carrots and other fresh leafy vegetables that she thought Xue would like. And also the ones she didn't mind eating. Buying fruits and vegetables were cheaper than food delivery...so buying some wouldn't be—

"Hey."

She jolted up and spun in shock, meeting face to face with a familiar person.

"You look like you've seen a ghost." An amused smile played on Zhao's lips. "Seen anything like that recently?"

"A-ah, I wasn't expecting to see someone I knew." She coughed, holding the cloth bag of her foodstuff. "Hello there, Hua Zhao."

"Huh, I guess you know my name." He remarked with a grin, idly tossing his brown hair. It was tied into a loose ponytail that hung by his shoulder. "Hi, there, Chan Lee?" He paused, leaning towards her. "Hmm...Lee? It sounds better if I call you just, Lee. I hope you won't mind."

"A-ah, sure! Call me anything." She scratched her cheek and managed a smile. This was embarrassing. She wanted to get back home, so she needed to get over with the niceties already.

"Will you two youngsters actually buy anything or will you just flirt in front of my stall?" The fruit vendor, an old man grumbled from his spot.

Chan Lee felt her face heat up.

Flirting?! What she would never—she turned to correct the obviously erred man. "Actually,"

"Oops, sorry, Uncle." A carefree laugh erupted from Zhao's lips, breaking her momentum.

Words now left in her throat.

He turned to her, gesturing to the fruits on the stand. "You were drooling at these right? A bag of peaches for my friend here."

The older man rolled his eyes but soon handed over the fruits to him. "A pleasure doing business with you kids, now you can scram."

"Here you go, thanks, Uncle." Zhao passed over some bills.

Chan Lee blinked, waving him off. "W-wait, I can pay for them."

He shook his head. "Consider this as compensation for scaring you. Speaking of which, is there anything else you need to buy?" Zhao raised his brows, taking the bags out of her hands.