Chapter 42

The usual decorations were missing

The usual decorations were missing. The Great Hall was normally decorated with the winning house's colors for the Leaving Feast. Tonight, however, there were black drapes on the wall behind the teachers table.

"Cedric was a person who exemplified many of the qualities which distinguish Hufflepuff house, he was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play. His death has affected you all," his eyes landed on Maeve face, she looked emotionless. The once happy girl, was gone and replaced the a numb one. "whether you knew him well or not. I think that you have the right, therefore, to know exactly how it came about. Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort!" Dumbledore said looking out at the gloomy Great Hall.

Maeve sat between the Fred and Julia, both holding each of her hands. Fred would occasionally paint circles on her thumb with his to try and comfort her. Fred and George could see the pain in her eyes, even though she was hiding it pretty well from others. The week after Cedric's death, she had became a numb person. As if all emotions left her body, leaving her as a shell. She wasn't Maeve anymore.

"The Ministry of Magic, does not wish me to tell you this. It is possible that some of your parents will be horrified that I have done so — either because they will not believe that Lord Voldemort has returned, or because they think I should not tell you so, young as you are. It is my belief however, that the truth is generally preferable to lies, and that any attempt to pretend that Cedric died as a result of an accident of some sort of blunder of his own, is an insult to his memory!" Dumbledore's voice felt like knives to Maeve.

She almost didn't turn up to the ceremony, the night before Julia and Maeve were caught trying to sneak out of the castle by Snape. If it would of been anyone Snape would expel them, but he knew their hurt. He knew what it felt like losing a loved one. He brought the girls back to their common room. When the girls walked in, they were alone again. Just staring at the couch. The couch Cedric carved into. Their couch.

"Now the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, reminds us that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one." His voice once again brought Maeve back to reality.

When Maeve and Julia finally arrived at the ceremony today, they knew there would be stares. When they got to the door, Julia stopped Maeve,

"I don't want to go in." Julia said in a panic.

"We have to, Jules."

"I don't know if I can."

"Neither do i." She grabbed Julias hand, "But we have to do this for Ced." They took a deep breath and opened the door.

Once the doors opened to the hall, they saw the lines of chairs already filled with students, all eyes were on them. It didn't feel real to see the girls with out Cedric. As girls walked down the hall, hand in hand they stopped next to Cho, who had stood up. The three girls stared at each other.