CHAPTER 20.1

“Selene, are you okay?” I asked her.

We were walking towards the school library where Celes was waiting for us. Class was already over but I asked Selene to walk with me for a bit before going home.

Her faced scrunched in an annoyed expression after hearing my question. Her mint green eyes glistening with fury as her lips puckered into a childish pout.

“I don’t like that guy.”

Stopping in my tracks, I stared at Selene. She was serious and furious at the same time.

“Did he do something wrong? Did he insult you or something?”

She scoffed, obviously remembering the events that happened earlier. Her eyes were getting watery as if she was about to cry.

Oh hell no. Did he just make my adorable cousin cry?

“It would’ve been better if he actually did insult me! I'd take any harsh words he'd say to me with open arms but it’s another story if he dare stain the name of the people close to me!”

Her fists were now clasped into a tight fist, ready to punch anyone who dare light her fuse.

I found myself gritting my teeth in fury as well. Selene wemight be childish and loud but she’s very sincere and cares a whole lot about the people she’s close with.

“What did he say?” I asked.

Sighing, Selene momentarily turned her head away from me, avoiding my gaze. “He said that… I should just stop being the prince's fiancee...”

That idiot!

“…I would just be a burden if the prince marries me. Even though I’m a Duke's daughter, my family title is all that I got. I’m not talented like you, Nisha nor am I as good in leading like Bryce. Heck! I don’t even have Fred's good social skills!”

Did he know that Selene and Bryce’s relationship was bad? If he says that, it’ll make things worse! I should’ve punched him!

“Selene! That’s not true at all! You’re amazing! You’re one of the strongest persons I know. You may not be as powerful as me but you’re way stronger in physical combat. You may not be as great a leader as Bryce or as sociable as Frederich but you’re a great friend and an honest person.”

“Thanks, Nisha. But, that wasn’t what pissed me off so much…”

“Then what is it?”

Well…

-----
(A/N: This is a flashback from Leon and Selene’s fight. It’s written in third person :>)
“Hey! I may not be that great of a person like my friends but I don’t need you to tell me that! That’s why I’ve been working so hard! I want to be worthy of great people like them!”

Leon merely snickered at Selene's announcement. He knew that the Duke's only daughter might be stubborn but he never imagined her to be this feisty. He only provoked her to test her, after all.

“Huh! I impressed at your tenacity, but do you think they feel the same?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, here you are desperately trying to be their equal but do you think you’ll really be able to do that? They are a different league from people like you. I’m pretty sure the Duke begged your fiance on both knees not to leave you when he learned that Anisha became a divine magic user. After all, he must’ve been  so worried for his second-rate daughter whose only half as good as his niece. Ha! I won’t even be shocked to know that Anisha thinks of you as a lackey.”

Hearing those words, Selene’s head went haywire. Not only did the boy insult her, but he dared insult her father, her fiance, and even her dearest cousin.

“How dare you… Anisha isn’t like that. The prince may be really cold towards me too, but he isn’t someone who'd turn his back just because of a petty reason like you said…”

Her fists were now firmly clenched and her face began to grow darker. She was furious. He dare slander her precious family!

“Tsk. You’re no fun. Already getting angry by mere words? You’ll never be able to fight me like that,” he smirked. Leon was confident.

She knew.

She knew full well that she mustn’t let her emotions cloud her judgement especially in the middle of a battle.

But her anger wasn’t that easy to quell.

“Shut up. Fight me. I’ll pulverize you.”

-----
(Ok, we're back to Anisha's POV)

“But…you lost.”

Selene sighed deeply, frustration evident in her expression.

Bowing her head, she gazed sadly at her left palm. “I was cocky. As much as I hate to admit it, he's strong. I understand now why he became the top student.  But I swear, I’ll beat him one day!”
I smiled.

Really, Selene’s such an admirable person.

“Yep, we’ll be getting stronger from here.”

A/N: Another short chapter!!! 🥺 I'm really trying to make time for writing and updating but online classes got me literally crawling.

But hey! Congrats for 100 votes 💞 I really really need to thank y'all for actually putting up with my amateurish writing.

Hope y'all stay safe 🙏😘

Oh, and a quick shout-out to Mallolrb for the flood likes and comments. You're awesome!