snippet

Men are the worst.

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ .·:·.*═══╗

You still remember that day as clear as crystal, as clear as your reflection in that tranquil but fragile stream you always walk by on your way to school.

"Do you have any idea how much I had to sacrifice for your sake?"

You could feel your heartbeat quicken.

"Just so we could have a happy family?"

Your fists started to clench.

"Live in a big house?"

Your then innocent eyes flitted to where Mama was standing.

"Drive a nice car?"

Mama.. You know that everything Papa's saying is not true! Not one bit! Why aren't you doing anything?

"Let the kids have a good education?"

You looked on helplessly as Mama looked more helpless by the passing second. ...Why?

"And what do you do? You contribute nothing to this!"

Why can't you fight back?

"Nothing. It's all possible because of me. Because I work hard-" Papa paused.

Do you not have the right?

Silence. His figure, once sturdy, started to tremble. It was as if he was thinking, "Why am I wasting my words on these worthless-"

And then a resounding slap, skin across skin, the impact seeming so ugly yet beautiful at the same time that it didn't make sense, just like a piece of art that is beautifully broken.

You guess someone has decided to crown action over speech.

Just like most monstrous, greedy yet perfectly normal humans.

Suddenly, your then timid, scrawny body was swept into the loving arms of a mother who has been abandoned, and the two of you left the house soundlessly, like prisoners escaping from a jail.

It was almost fun.

As the door closed behind you, Mama heaved a sigh of relief, then set you down so that you were standing beside her.

Except for the fact that we had to keep running.

"Where are we going to go?"

Just running...

"Somewhere.. Where we can be free."

And running..

"Okay."

And running.

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ .·:·.*═══╝

...little did I know..

words: 330
published: 21/09/2020