CHAPTER NINE

I rode on a ship where they took us to an all metal island prison. We were given sacks to wear over our clothes.
On the dock the warden greeted us acting like this was some kind of resort, he told us how we couldn't earthbend on this island and as he was giving his speech someone coughed and he kicked fire at that person and sent him to solitary confinement just for ruining his grand opening speech. He remined me of Zhao just more falling into his role of authority, abusing it more.
We were taken to the court yard, I looked around and felt bad for everyone in this prison. They were all earthbenders from the same village. One thing I noticed was that they all looked depressed, like someone had stepped on their hearts, crushing their hopes and dreams.

"Kaida?" I looked over my shoulder and saw a confused Haru.

"Haru!" I attacked him in a hug which he hugged me back but I pulled away quickly. "I am so sorry! It's my fault you're in here!"

"No. It's not, it's that old man's fault. You only tried to help him." He replied. "What are you doing here?"

"Trying to rescue you." I answered.

"So you got yourself arrested?!" He asked. "Just to break me out?!"

"Well yeah." I nodded not seeing the real issue with that.

"You got guts Kaida." He crossed his arms and smiled. "I'll give you that come on there's someone I'd like you to meet."
I followed him to a circle of men eating. "Kaida, This is my father, Tyro. Dad this is, Kaida...The girl I told you about."

I blushed at the thought that he actually talked about me but the I bowed my head. "It's an honor to meet you."

"You too." He bowed as well. "Have some dinner, Kaida." He held out a bowl and I gladly took it but looked unsure at the liquid substance that swished in the small bowl.
"It's not as bad as it looks." Tyro said so I sat and took a slurp and gagged a little. "I guess it's still pretty bad huh?" He smiled.

"Thank you anyways." I replied using the back of my hand to wipe my mouth. I set the bowl down and looked at Haru.

"Tyro the prisoners are complaining that there aren't enough blankets to go around." Another man spoke.

"I'll talk to the guards." Tyro replied. "In the meantime make sure the elderly are taken care of, the rest of us will simply have to hope for warmer weather."

"So Tyro." I spoke nervous to say what I was about to but I said it because it's the only thing I could do. "What's the escape plan?"

"Excuse me?" He replied looking a bit offended.

"To get off the rig, to get home and be with your families." I continued.

"Kaida, our plan is to survive, wait out this war and hope that one day some of us can get back home and forget this ever happened." Tyro said.

"Wait, so you're not even gonna try?" I asked. "How-How can you just give up like that? D-Do you really want to see your son grow up in such a depressing place? To watch everyone else give up. You're just giving up?"

"Kaida, I admire your courage and I envy your youth, but people's lives are at stake here." Tyro said. "The warden is a ruthless man and he won't stand for any rebellion. I'm sorry but we're powerless."