Chapter Fourteen - Lights and Sirens

"Keep the van still!"

"Kind of hard when I'm DRIVING the stupid thing!"

"Diego! Just keep it steady!"

"Yeah, sure. I'll slow down, how about that? Would you like that Myles? Would you!?"

Cameron held onto the seat with a death grip, eyes clenched shut. The van shot around a sharp corner.

"Obviously, he doesn't! You know that!"

"Can you all shut it! Reid needs to concentrate! He's doing a surgery back here."

"Can you technically call it a surgery-?"

"Not now Arlo!"

"Thanks Lloyd, I'm really feeling the love."

She squeezed the seatbelt within her fist, trying to ignore the sirens blasting behind the van. She could still see the victorious smirk painted on Ashley's lips as she held the gun. They way she had stared at her, with a triumphant glint in her eye. Then, she had ran, Spence not taking long to follow her.

A painful groan was heard over the roaring of the engine.

"Sorry big bro, we're trying our best." Arlo muttered worriedly.

Cameron body lurched to the left in the front passenger seat as Diego took another sharp corner. A few exclamations of surprise and annoyance burst from the back, the van wobbling slightly as it was straightened out.

"This is why we let Kalmin drive." Lloyd complained, typing away on his laptop. Cameron concentrated on the noise of the keys clicking, drowning out the pained groans of her eldest brother.

"Suck it up, I'm trying my best!" Diego declared. 

"Try harder."

"You little sh-."

"Will you please be quiet," Myles pleaded. Cameron peeked her eyes open. "Reid needs to get this bullet out."

She shuddered at the reminder of the bullet. Her brother had been shot. A bullet which had been meant for her was inside her brother. Ashley would have shot her if he hadn't got in the way.

Kalmin had saved her life.

"Got it," Reid announced. Cameron peered over the back of the seat to see Reid holding a blood covered bullet with his medical tweezers. He quickly dropped it into a metal bowl Myles was holding out. 

"Finally," Diego sighed, "That means I can speed up."

Cameron twisted back to curl up in her seat, the van picking up speed. She couldn't even remember how Diego ended up in the driver's seat. 

After the shot rang out, everything became a blur. She remembered staring at Kalmin slouched on the street floor, Ashley's retreating form sprinting away and someone dragging her to the van. She couldn't remember cutting her palms on the concrete, or how she ended up in the passenger seat with Diego driving. She couldn't even remember pulling the seatbelt over herself. 

The police chase was another thing she didn't remember starting, but it had. Now they had to outrun the police, all the while Reid is stitching up a bullet wound in the back of a van that was going triple the speed limit.

"No! It doesn't mean you can speed up!" Arlo exclaimed, leaning forward so he was leaning against the back of the driver's seat, his head popping over. He gave a quick small grin to Cameron before looking out the front window. "Reid is still stitching!"

"Do you want the police to catch us?" Diego questioned, swerving around a car. "Because if I slow down again, we'll all be shipped off to prison!"

"Dramatic much?" Lloyd muttered. The sound of him closing his laptop was barely heard over everything going on around them. "CCTV has all been wiped by yours truly; there's no evidence we were ever there. Other than the eye witnesses, of course."