117. signal fire

The sky was dark overhead, the crashing waves and cracking of the fire filled the still air.

I sat in front of the fire, continuously throwing cedar branches into the flames. Since returning to the beach with Bellamy, two discoveries had been made.

The first being that the cedar branches that littered the beach turned the fire green when thrown in. Octavia had pieced together that this was some sort of signal fire for Luna.

The second, and less exciting, revelation that had been made was that Octavia did not forgive Bellamy, not in the slightest. Upon our return, the two siblings had launched into an argument that caused Bellamy questioning when Octavia was going to forgive him. This elicited in the younger Blake sibling revealing the fact that she blamed Bellamy for what happened to Lincoln, that she couldn't even look at him without seeing what Pike did.

The remaining three of us had remained silent as Bellamy marched off toward the shore, hurt covering his whole face.

Clarke had given me a look, like she wanted me to go after him. But I had stayed where I was, knowing that it wasn't my place to go comfort him. I couldn't morally do that right now, knowing how hurt Octavia was and still feeling the pain myself.

So, with the moon slowly making its way along the horizon, there were only three of us seated on the beach. Clarke had ended up following after Bellamy, and I could faintly see their silhouettes along the rocky shore.

"You don't have to stay mad at him just for my sake." Octavia spoke, breaking the silence that had ensued.

I shook my head, throwing another branch into the fire. "I'm not." I answered. I had my own reasons for being upset, ones totally independent from Octavia's feelings.

The three of us fell back into a comfortable silence. 

Only was it broken when Jasper's eyes grew wide. Within a matter of seconds he was on his feet, "Woah!"

I jumped, turning my head to see at least a dozen figures moving in on us, weapons pointed. 

I scrambled to push myself to my feet, following the lead of Jasper and Octavia who had moved closer to each other.

"It's okay!" Octavia announced, placing her hands out to show we meant no harm. 

My eyes flickered to Bellamy and Clarke who were being marched in, their mouths gagged and hands tied. 

One of them men said something in Trigedasleng as Bellamy and Clarke were pushed down to their knees. 

I stood next to Jasper, both of us looking around with wide eyes. What had we gotten ourselves into?

Octavia's voice was steady as she responded, letting them know who we were and what we wanted. 

The man let out a bitter laugh. "Skaikru, Bringers of Death. Why should we give you safe passage?"

Octavia didn't skip a beat. "Lincoln." she answered, causing the group of them to exchange looks. "He sent us."

The man stared her down for a moment before saying something to his men. His words resulted in the ties being removed from Bellamy and Clarke. 

The two of them immediately pushed themselves to their feet, pulling the gags from out of their mouthes. "What's going on?" Bellamy whispered, leaning toward his sister. 

Octavia shook her head slightly, keeping her attention focused on the strangers. "I don't know."

The man walked toward us, pulling out a small pouch which contained a series of vials. Her was wordless as he took one out and handed it to Octavia. He then moved toward Clarke, Bellamy, Jasper and I, giving us each our own.

"What is this?" I questioned, speaking for the first time since their arrival. 

Looking over at me with a blank expression, the man answered. "Safe passage."

"What...does it do?" asked Jasper, hesitation written in his voice. 

The man didn't answer, but it didn't seem to matter to Octavia. In one quick movement she had raised the vial to her lips and downed its contents.

"Octavia, no!" 

"If only she drinks, then only she goes."

Octavia gave her brother a reassuring look. "I trust Lincoln."

Jasper shrugged, looking to the remaining of us. "See you on the other side." And just liked Octavia, he downed the liquid. 

I looked between my two friends, noting how Octavia began to sway, her eyes slowly drooping. "Tavia, are you-"

I didn't get to finish my sentence as seconds later she collapsed to the ground, her body crumpling in on itself.

"Octavia!" Bellamy yelled, trying to rush toward his sister only to be held back by a couple of men.

"Oh, crap." Jasper muttered from beside me, beginning to sway like Octavia had just done. 

I reached out, catching him before he could hit the ground. His body was limp in my arms as I slowly lowered the two of us onto the sandy beach. 

"Last chance." The man warned. 

I looked to Bellamy and Clarke who were sharing their own nervous glances. The two seemed to be having their own silent conversation, one I was clearly not apart of. 

So I took a chance and brought the vial to my lips. 

The liquid was sour as it reached my mouth, but I managed to drink it all in one go. The minute I had swallowed it, my body began to tingle. 

"Avery!" Bellamy snapped, just now noticing what I had done. 

I looked over to his through droopy eyelids. Opening my mouth to speak, the words seemed to have died in my throat. 

Soon enough my eyelids shut and everything went black. 

-an-

sorry this chapter is short but I thought it would be better as two rather all in one. also so sorry for lack of updates...i know I suck. online university and working is just kicking my butt to be completely honest. 

hope you are all doing well!

-maddy xoxo