Chapter Twenty-Six

As soon as I walk into the front doors of the school, everything goes silent. Almost everyone is staring at me. I feel immediately uncomfortable and shift back a little.

Hatred is evident on some faces, envy on others, some look curious, and some look like they're planning my murder.

"Um..." I say, looking at all the faces. "What.... What's going on?"

I hear whispers but I can't make out what's being said. I don't understand what's happening right now. Why is everyone staring at me like that?

Shelby walks out of the crowd, storming towards me in her four inch high heels. I step back a bit, eyes wide with surprise. She get too close, grabbing the collar of my shirt and shoving me against the lockers. I let out a gasp.

"Who do you think you are?" She hisses at me.

"What... What are you talking about?" I ask, trying to push her off of me.

"I thought you'd know by now that you should stay out of mine and everyone else's lives," she says, eyes narrowed. "Why are you dating Brendan Marks?"

"Is that what this is about?" I ask, suddenly amused. "First of all, why do you even care? They aren't your friends anymore. Second of all, this is my life, not yours."

She slams me against the lockers, harder this time. My head aches.

"I am warning you now, stay away from Brendan," she says slowly. "You don't want to know what I can do."

"Why are you so shocked by this? You think you have a chance with him?" I ask, eyebrows raised. I try to push her away again, but we grip is strong, fingernails digging into my skin.

"Lili?" Brendan's voice comes from behind Shelby. He rushes over to us, yanking Shelby off of me. He pushes her away, then looks back at me. "Are you okay?"

"In fine," I assure him. "Thanks."

"Shelby, leave her alone," Brendan says.

Instead of replying, she just smirks, turns around slowly, and walks away.

"What was that all about?" He asks me, walking beside me towards our class.

"Usual threats," I shrug. "She's all riled up about us dating."

"Of course she is," he sighs, looking bothered all of a sudden.

"Should I... Should I be worried?" I ask.

"Why would you be worried?" He asks.

"She threatened me to stay away from you..."

"No, don't worry about it," he says.

"Are you sure? Don't you remember what happened last time she threatened me?" I ask, feeling anxiety bubble inside me.

"Don't get yourself too worked up about her," is his only answer.

"Do you guys... Have a past or something? She seems awfully possessive of you," I point out to him.

His jaw clenches and he looks the opposite way. "Why don't we talk about that later."

"Alright," I decide to drop the subject for now.

"You can come over tonight," he says, as we enter the classroom and everyone stares at us in shock as we enter hand in hand.

*•*•*

'Hey, I'm on my way.'

'Alright.... wait, are you walking?' -Brendan

'Maybe.'

'Where are you? I'm coming to pick you up.' -Brendan

'No. I'm fine.'