family syllable

"So that's Taewon, and that's Taesoo, and that's Taelim, and that's—" Taehyung explains. He points to each of the respective chickens enthusiastically, or as enthusiastically as possible, in his state. Yura can't help but smile at the childlike glimmer in his eyes.

"Isn't it morbid? Naming your chickens just to kill them?" Yura asks, and Taehyung gasps, shakes his head fervently.

"No! We don't kill them, they're part of the family. Their names all have the family syllable. And, our main crop is strawberries." Taehyung explains, as if that's the most basic logic in the world. Yura just chuckles at his childlike demeanor. Just another thing to find endearing about him.

Yura knew Taehyung grew up on a farm, but could never really imagine him on one before now. He was always so captivating and bright, his vibe consistent with the big city of Seoul. It was hard to imagine someone who so naturally existed in the city in a place so drastically different. But, Yura realizes that she was wrong. Taehyung fits on a farm. She can see it in the affection in his eyes for the animals, in the relaxed and happy shrug of his shoulders, in the way he has seen this same scenery a million times but looks at it all like it's new.

"What are they named?" Yura asks, hand lightly grazing his shoulder while the other one points to the cows in the distance. Taehyung cringes awkwardly.

"Um, we don't name those. You can probably guess why." He says, and Yura's eyes widen in understanding. Taehyung can't help the laugh that tumbles out of his mouth, and Yura's brief mortification morphs into uncomfortable laughter, seeking Taehyung's gloved hand for solace. "You're an uncomfy laugher, too?"

"Yes. I can't keep a straight face in awkward situations for the life of me." She states, and Taehyung squeezes her hand fondly. He opens his mouth to speak, but is cut off.

"Um, PSA...PDA is gross." Taeho speaks up from where he walks a few spaces behind them. Yura goes to pull her hand from Taehyung's but he only grips her fingers tighter. Glancing over his shoulder at his little brother, he gives him a pointed look that gives Yura butterflies. He's so confident and willing to be seen with her, it makes her feel warm and fuzzy all over. Taeho just grimaces. "I never would have agreed to this if I had know this is what I was signing up for." Yura chuckles, noticing the same quick wit in Taeho that she sees in Taehyung.

"As if Eomma would have given you a choice in the first place." Taehyung replies, and Taeho guffaws, a snide grin on his face as he left his heels scuff the dirt with each step.

"Eomma is gonna kill you, by the way. She was already on a warpath when you said you were coming, but now that you've brought home a girl, she's really gonna kill you." Taeho says matter-of-factly, before turning to address Yura. "Sorry, noona. You might witness Taehyungie hyung's murder today."

"Oh, so are you making the popcorn, or am I?" Yura asks Taeho, who laughs rambunctiously despite Taehyung's gasp of betrayal.

"I like her, hyung. She'll keep you in check." Taeho informs him.

"I'm well aware." Taehyung teases, voice sharp with fake contempt, but unable to keep a fond smile off his face. He loves seeing how well Yura and Taeho get along already. He just hopes is mother tones down her neuroticism enough to do the same. He isn't counting on that one, though.

When the three finally reach the door, Taehyung takes a deep breath to collect himself before opening it. "Eomma, we're home!" He calls nervously. Though he's terrified to see his mother, he is deeply comforted by the familiar smells of laundry linens and the sage his father burns. The warmth seeps into his freezing cold bones. He hears his mother before he sees her.

"You're home? That's all you have to say? I swear, Taehyung-ah, you'll be the death of me—" She stops as she comes around the corner into the foyer. She's a short, stout woman with a curly mop of dark hair. Though the wrinkles of her face show the toll of raising two boys, she radiates the same vitality as Taehyung does. That unabashed confidence and sense of self. Her jaw drops when she sees Yura, who offers her best smile. "Oh." She says softly, a shocked smile on her face.