17. FALTERING FACADE

𝑨𝑺𝑻𝑹𝑶𝑷𝑯𝑰𝑳𝑰𝑨

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"I knew something was wrong, but I didn't know it would be this bad."

"And how the hell would you know something was wrong?"

"I'm not ignorant Prongs. It doesn't take a genius to see she wasn't her-"

"Sure, Moony."

"Shut up Prongs, it isn't polite to interrupt."

"Well, what did you want me to do about it? Accio a broom and fly to save her?!"

"I'm as daft as I may seem, Moony. Plus, you can hardly ride one without falling on your arse."

"Low blow, James."

"Hardly, Wormy."

"You could've at least told me! Maybe we could have stopped her before she even played the game."

"Well of course there was something wrong before, but it got worse during the game."

"Still could have told me."

"She looked distressed distracted, and it's not like I could have yelled at her or flown out there to go..."

Eva aggressively squeezed her eyes, trying to regain movement before slowly opening them.

"Eva!" five voices shouted, earning a heavy wince from the girl.

"Oh shut it, will you?" Kaelyn shushed, glancing sympathetically at her friend. 

Eva finally managed to pry open her eyes, first recognizing Kaelyn and Adan perched at the foot of the bed. Eva smiled weakly at the sight of their hands lightly entwined together. On her right were James and Sirius, who had most likely been bickering back and forth with one another before she woke. On the left were Peter, who was playing with the edges of her blanket, and Remus, who was messing with her hair. 

"That's the second year in a row."

"What happened?"

"You're so dumb."

"Are you okay?"

"How are you feeling?"

"You have a broken arm!"

Eva groaned. "I know nothing more than you all do! I ran into a wall and here I am. How long has it been anyway?"

"You were asleep for a week, Eva," James scolded. "A week! The same thing happened last year!"

"A week?! Sorry, if I would've known, I would have tried to wake up earlier," she said weakly with a roll of her eyes. 

"I don't want to be the one to say it..." Adan began hesitantly.