𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 1

Have you ever wished you were born into another family? A better one, to say the least.

Where coming home every day wouldn't drain your spirit more than school ever did. Or studying every night wouldn't have to be interrupted by heated arguments from the master bedroom.

The thought had crossed your mind for quite some time, but strangely the answer would always be 'no'.

Just as of tonight, your parents didn't hesitate to be loud for their daughter to hear. They were going on about it again in the living room. You wondered what was it this time. They had their dispute but this one was rather intense than the others.

You never meant to eavesdrop on the conversation below. Your instinct told you to drop down on the floor, which you did, but then you just couldn't move. You were somehow terrified of what will happen next.

You sat there for a while, behind the wall next to the staircase. You pulled your legs up and looked at your two hands; one held a pen and the other held a permission slip given by the volleyball club's advisor.

You planned to get their signature as well as informed them that you were recruited to be the team's manager. However, considering the current situation it was scratched off your to-do list. Perhaps on another day.

Your shoulders sagged while closing your eyes, no longer listening to your parents' quarrel that slowly faded out.

Sounds of ball spikes and squeaking shoes faded in and reverberated in your ears until it woke you back to the school gym.

Akaashi tossed to Bokuto at a perfect angle. The sound it made when the ball smacked the wooden floor bounced back and forth the walls.

You found yourself sitting on the bench on the side of the court. One hand held a pen and the other gripped a notebook. It seemed like you were awoken from another episode.

"Nice toss, Akaashi! Hey hey heeyy!"

Remembering where you were at, your eyes flitted to the notebook on your lap, specifically on the scribble that was your handwriting. You clicked your tongue for missing the scores.

You continued writing more progress about today's practice while hearing a few frequent shouts of nice kill or nice receive.

It became a common thing you're hearing after a year of handling the team as their manager with no sports background whatsoever.

You didn't play volleyball or any other sports. You were just academically bright that the teacher asked you to join. Being around them for a while made you understood the sport and grew attached to it.

Of course, not as much as the team members. They love volleyball that sometimes you were concerned about their school.

They were as amiable as ever. They welcomed you with open arms as the youngest and only girl in the club.