Chapter one

A/N
Hi guys!
This is my first fanfic, I hope you will enjoy it.

Sophie stood in the middle of her massive bedroom, practicing Karate moves that she mastered a long time ago.
She was a black belt in Karate and had beat every one of her peers and Sensei's in face-offs.
She had learned everything she needed to know and graduated from her weekly lessons— but practice never hurt anyone.
She did a round house kick, knocking out her imaginary enemy. She punched the air and did a jump/kick/spin move.

When Sophie was done practicing, she drank out of her water bottle and flopped down on her enormous canopy bed.
She was bored.
She had no friends, and couldn't remember ever having one in her 16 years on earth.
She excelled in every class or sports team she's ever been on.
She was smart and athletic and sometimes... okay— always super competitive. SO WHAT!
She didn't need to be hated for it.
She did seem to be prone to injuring herself.
It was embarrassing, and she was probably a danger to herself and everyone around her.
BUT!
No.
There's no buts.
She was a freak.
Always has been. Always will be.
Out of place in society. In her high school.

She sighed and decided to go for a run.

"Mom!" Sophie called to her adoptive mom— Edaline, who was probably organizing her office. It was like a tornado blew through there.

"Yes!" Edaline called back.

"I'm going for a run!"

"Okay! Be back by eight!"

" 'Kay! Love you!"

"Love you too!"

Sophie walked down the stairs, ran out the door and onto the sidewalk.
She jogged passed a few kids walking a dog.
Sophie sped up into a run as she passed a lamppost and a mailbox.

Sophie glanced at all the houses as she ran past them.
They were big.
Big and modern.
Her neighbourhood scream attention.
Even her house, which was a smaller house on the street, was massive.
But not in comparison to the Everglen mansion smack in the middle of the neighbourhood, surrounded by a large circle of grass and trees and flowers that smelled like rain.
Compared to Everglen, her adopted parents house —Havenfield— looked like a dog house.

Sophie sighed as she ran past the gorgeous house and to the park across the street. She ran around the soccer field a couple of times before deciding it was time to go home.

She ran the long way around. The way that took her to her adopted cousins house: Rimeshire.
Dex's house was definitely different from the rest of the houses in the neighbourhood.
It was big.
That's where the similarities ended.
The house looked like it was splattered with every colour of paint.
The windows were tinted with pinks and blues. The door was metal and the garage door was designed to look like a sharks open mouth.

The place was just plain weird. But Dex's dad, Kesler, hated to be like everyone else and he enjoyed watching all the stuck up rich people squirm as they passed his house.

Sophie neared turned the corner that led to her house, she stopped running and walked until she reached her front door. She unlocked it with her keys and walked in.

Edaline sat at the couch, watching TV with Sophie's adopted dad, Grady.

Edaline was beautiful with her amber hair and turquoise eyes.

Grady had blond hair and bright blue eyes.
He looked like a mix of James Bond and Robin Hood.

"Hey, Kiddo," Grady greeted with a smile.

"Hi Dad," Sophie said.

"How was your run?" Edaline asked.

"It was fine," she said and went upstairs to take a quick shower.