➳ 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘯𝘦𝘳𝘥

— 1985 —
Mike Wheeler

I had just left third period, the class before lunch. My bladder felt full so I went to the restroom to take a piss until I bumped into someone.

"Ow—" the boy I bumped into, said. Wait.. this boy.. It's him! It's actually him! Ugh, this is so embarrassing!

"Shit! Uh, I'm so sorry! I-I didn't mean to—" he cut me off.

"No, it's okay. I'm used to it," he said and tried to avoid eye contact with me. Is he shy? Of course he's shy!

"Used to what?" I asked.

"To people bumping me for no reason because they find me annoying." he simply replied.

I frowned. "I didn't bump you on purpose! I was just too... fast, because I really need to.. you know.. let it.. f-flow..?"

His eyes widened with his cheeks suddenly turning red. "O-Oh.. y-yeah, right.. hehe.. I-I'm sorry.." he stutters. Aww, he's so cute!

"I, uh, gotta go." he said.

"Yeah, sure." I told him and entered a cubicle.

I then left the restroom right after peeing and walked to the lockers, supposedly to get my stuff. Not until I saw one of my bestfriends, Lucas Sinclair, walking towards my direction.

"Hey, Wheeler!" he raised his left hand up and waved at me. I quickly ran to him, pulled him with his arm and locked us in the janitor's closet.

"What the hell are you doing?" he asked me, with a confused and annoyed look on his face.

I squeezed my eyes and let out a heavy sigh. "Lucas, I need to tell you something." I said. He just raised me a brow.

"I have a crush on someone." I snapped. He burst out of laughter and looked at me.

"Everyone has their own crushes. You ain't special, my friend." he teased.

"Okay but maybe if you atleast made me finish..?"

"Yeah, yeah. I'm sorry." Lucas chuckled.

I sighed again. "This boy that I like—"

"Wait, boy?!" he shockingly asked.

I frowned at him. "Yeah..?"

"So you're.."

I slowly nodded. "Y-yeah.."

His eyes widened and covered his mouth in shock. He gave me a man hug. "Proud of you, man." he smiled.

Oh, I never actually came out to anyone.. I thought Lucas knew, because he knows me damn well.. Maybe he just didn't want to assume.

"Thanks, Clair." I smiled back. "So this boy, um.. I've liked him since this school year started." I began. "I don't have any classes with him but I know him because he's too popular. And I... talked to him for the first time today!" I excitedly yelled. It's okay to yell, this closet is soundproof.

"Really?! When and where?" he excitedly asked, too.

"Like twenty minutes ago.." I paused. "in the restroom."

Lucas burst out of laughter again. I sighed. This man..

"So what happened next? I bet y'all.. you know.." he smirked.

"Shut up, man! We didn't do nothing!" I rolled my eyes. "I accidentally bumped him.. then I apologized and ended up having a whole conversation." I explained.

He clicked his tongue. "Meeting your first love in the restroom is such a rare thing, but.. anyway," he looked at me. "Who's this boy again?"

"Will. Will Byers," I nervously replied and looked around the room to avoid the awkwardness.

"B-WHAT?! Will Byers? The nerd?" he shockingly asked.

"Y-yeah..?"

He laughed. "Are you serious?"

"Do I look like I'm joking?" I asked, emphasazing the word, I.

"Yes! I mean—where's the taste? And you said he was popular! Just.. where?"

"You are so judgmental, Lucas! Where's the taste? Maybe you can't find it because you're too blind to see what's good. Also, he actually is popular.. for being a nerd. Like—you even automatically knew who Will Byers was when I said his name!" I yelled.

Lucas scratched his neck. "Well.. you got a point there."

"See?" I rolled my eyes. We just looked around the room without saying anything for about a minute. I decided to break the silence.

"Just please don't tell anyone, okay? You're the only one I trust," I told Lucas.

He nodded. "F'Course. You always have my back." he gave me a genuine smile. I smiled back.

"Alright, later." I said and barged out the door... but it wasn't successful.

I bumped again.

Into someone.

But this time, it was worse.

We're both on the floor. On the goddamn floor. AND I'M ON TOP OF HIM!

Our faces are so close to each other. There's only a few centimeters away for them to touch!

"Oh my God, look at them!"

"Ew, is that Will Byers?"

"Yep, and Mike Wheeler."

"That's disgusting!"

"It looks like they're enjoying it! *laughs*"

All these people seriously got no lives of their own. We're not enjoying it! But what if we were? I mean, it's not like they care!

I stood up and helped Will to get up. "Sorry, bud. For bumping you twice today—accidentally." I let out a nervous chuckle.

Will stared at me with his eyes looking into mine and down to my lips. He shook his head and said, "I-It's okay.."

"I knew it. Will's gay!" one of the students joked. Everyone laughed.

"Why don't you guys get a life?" I yelled at them. They're getting into my nerves.

The looks on their faces changed and immediately walked away. Ended the show.

"I'm sorry about them," I apologized to Will.. again.

"All good. They weren't lying anyways." he blushed and bit his lip to stop himself from smiling. He immediately looked away and left.

Holy—WHAT?! WHAT DID HE SAY??? DID YOU HEAR WHAT I JUST HEARD???

And.. was I right? Did he blush? YES HE DID! MY BOY BYERS BLUSHED WHO'S DOING IT LIKE ME, HUH?

"Dude, you're red as a tomato." Lucas appeared from my back while giggling. He winked at me before leaving.

What the hell just happened?