New York, New York

The bell rings and my heart starts to beat a million times per second. I would have to go into the hallway and risk running into him yet again. My phone had blown up non stop since I had left their house two nights ago. Sarah is still home from school recovering, but Liam walks the same halls that I do.

"Hey, you okay?"

I jumped at Charlotte's touch.

"Yeah, I'm good. Have you seen Liam?"

She pulled her mouth to one side, "No. Do you want to talk about it?"

I shrug, "Did you know her?"

She opened my locker for me as we reached the sectioning of the hallway, "Not really. I had just moved here the year before she left. She was really popular though."

I roll my eyes as I grab my next textbook, "I'm not shocked."

Charlotte was closing my locker as I saw him out of the corner of my eye. I ducked behind Charlotte, "Hide me."

She turned and looked over her shoulder, "He is coming over here."

I swallowed the lump in my throat as I heard his voice, "Em. Can we talk, please."

Charlotte looked at me for a sign, I shook my head.

"No, Liam."

I wrapped my arm through Charlotte's and attempted to pull her, but she didn't move.

"You two should really talk."

I took a deep breath, betrayed but I understood where she was coming from. I never expected the friendship I had found in Char, but it was one that I needed.

She softly smiled before walking away, leaving me to face my fears.

"Em," he put his hand to my cheek but I pulled away, "Please."

"Did you call her? Is it true? Does she have proof?"

He looked down at his tennis shoes, "Yes, yes, and yes. But," he looked into my eyes and put his hands on each side of my face, "I know for a fact that I wasn't the only one she spent time with this summer. It could be someone else's."

I snarled, "That makes me feel so much better."

"We weren't together this summer."

I shook my head, "No, we weren't, but you told me that you hadn't talked to her since last year."

He nodded slowly, "I know, and I'm sorry. That was wrong of me, but I wanted to work on this for us and not have her in the middle."

"Look where that got you."

He grabbed my hand and held it to his chest, "Emilie, I love you, and I will make this right, no matter what happens."

I took my hand away from him and shoved it in my pocket, "I'm late to class. See you later, Liam."

I half expected him to follow me, but he didn't. Charlotte was waiting just around the corner.

"Are you okay?"

I nod, "Actually, I am."

She smiled and put her arm over my shoulder, "Good, do you want to skip next period?"

"I thought you would never offer."

Charlotte knew all the hotspots around town, and surprisingly knew how to have fun. After stopping at a few of the waterfalls behind the bridge, we finally parked at a breakfast diner about an hour out of town.

"They have the best waffles in the country."

I laugh, "I'm more of a French Toast girl."

Her eyes widened, "Lucky you, I heard their bananas foster French toast is legendary."

My stomach growled at her words.

Charlotte wasn't lying when she said their food was legendary, it was the best French toast I had ever ate in my entire life.

"What do you want to do now?"

I shrugged, "I think I may go home and see my mom. She has been working so much since my dad died and I haven't really been there for her."

"Okay, to your house!" She pointed to the air with passion and we hit the road.

My mother was asleep on the couch in her work clothes when I snuck into the house. I tip toed to the kitchen trying not to wake her.

"Emilie, honey, what are you doing?"

I smiled as I turned to face my mom, stirring the pot on the stove, "Cooking you dinner."

A tear from her cheek and she wrapped me in a hug, "I love you."

"I love you, too, mom."

She pulled back but kept her grip on my shoulders, "Why don't we invite the Brooks' over for dinner? I will help you finish up."

She placed the bread on the baking sheet and stuck it into the oven as I added another can of sauce to the spaghetti.

Before I knew it, the door bell had rang and our dining room was full of laughter. I was worried how things would be with Jackson, but he was great. Justin has left to go on a ski trip with a few of his friends and Mr.Brooks was on a business trip. My mom and Amy talked and laughed while I caught up with Jackson.

My mom picked up her glass of wine and asked for our attention, "With my closest friend, and my daughter here, now is as good of a time as any," her face softened and her eyelids dropped, "I have been offered a promotion at my job."

"Mom! That's great!" I felt so excited for her, and Amy wrapped her in a hug.

"In New York."

The entire room fell silent and my heart stopped.

I am wrapping this book up in the next few chapters, but do not worry! There will be a second book! ❤️ Thank you for reading so far, and check out my other book "Death Wish"