Chapter 41: Last chance

Not really related to this story BUT CHECK OUT THIS DRAWING I MADE OF OBI. Okay yeah that's it. Enjoy it.

Hours passed as I lay there, softly cuddled against his warm body and listening to his steady heartbeat as my body slowly recovered. Our legs were intertwined, my head laying on his arm and my nose nuzzled against his chest, his other arm draped around my waist and holding me close. Obi-Wan was fast-asleep with a small smile playing around his lips and a look of serenity clear on his face, making me chuckle lightly each time I glanced up at his face. I wanted to lay there forever yet I knew I had limited time left in this universe.

My fingers gently traced the muscles on his chest as my mind went haywire with troubles clouding my thoughts, not wanting to wake him yet having too many issues to deal with myself. I had so much more I wanted to do, so much more I wanted to accomplish before my death yet fate seemed to have something else in mind.

Glancing up at his closed eyes I sighed deeply, enjoying his warm embrace but feeling like I should be doing more. Even though I was sleep-deprived and utterly exhausted, my entire body was on high alert and jumped at each odd sound or flicker. His presence soothed me but somehow it wasn't enough. Apart from that, sleeping would mean that tomorrow would come sooner and I wasn't ready to face it yet.

Groaning internally, I carefully unwrapped myself from his arms, trying not to wake him. I hated myself for this yet I wrapped myself in the blankets and reached for my armour, pulling it on as I cursed myself internally. When I was fully clothed I walked on my toes towards the door, glancing back at his sleeping figure before walking into the hallway, looking both ways before stalking further inside the castle.

Gods, I cursed the day I was born. My whole life I had been ready to sacrifice my life for others yet now that I truly had to, I was scared. I was reluctant to admit it, but the thought of dying tomorrow send a chill through my body that almost seemed to freeze me instantly and awakened an instinct to run. I couldn't even talk about it with anyone, with Obi-Wan especially, knowing he'd prevent it at all costs. I was alone in this fight and I was afraid I couldn't do it.

Before I knew it I had entered the hospital wing, my feet carrying me over to the desk where a lone nurse looked up from the monitors, her eyebrows furrowing when she saw my armoured figure appearing in the hall. "My queen?" She muttered, standing up from the stool she was occupying "What are you doing here? It's 3 am, your majesty."

"Yes, I know, I know." I sighed, picking up the manifest on the counter, reading all the patients that we had admitted today. "I just... wanted to finish some things before I went to sleep." I glanced up at her before looking back at the patients, seeing that with some the doctors didn't understand what was going on. "Why didn't they contact me about these?" I questioned, my eyes narrowing.

"Well, we..." The nurse shifted uncomfortably. "We weren't sure if you were still available for such small matters, seeing you're now the Phoenix and all."

I glanced up again, realization hitting me as she watched me with both fear and excitement. "Right, I understand." I thought about telling her to contact me in the future until I realised I had no future left, leaving me empty inside with the mere thought. Biting my lip, I suppressed the frustrated yell that had tried to escape. "Right." I sighed, gathering all the papers. "I'm going to take a look at these, you stay here and watch the other patients for me, will you?"

"Of course, your majesty." She nodded with a small smile, watching my retreating figure as I walked towards my own office. The next few hours I spent reading through the dossiers, correcting prescription errors and deciding on new treatments for some unsolved cases with one single lamp as the only light source. I could feel my eyelids getting heavier each second, yet I was determined to finish the work, not wanting to leave a single patient untreated before I well, died.