Chapter 69

*trigger warning; graphic death, but then again, this is a Titans fic after all, just thought I'd warn you*

"Why did you bring him here?" Bruce exclaimed, standing by the stairs with Blair and Jason. Never in her life had she seen Bruce move so quickly and speak so much like a dad to "talk in private." She was just waiting for her inevitable grounding... or to be disowned. Whichever came first. "You know the rules. This is the second time you've broken them!"

Even though she was expecting it, Blair flinched at his harsh tone. She couldn't help it, it just felt like he was starting to mentally clear out her room to make it available for the next person he could find to fill her cloak. Just when she thought she was over that feeling of being easily replaced, feeling like she didn't have to worry about losing her place in this crime fighting family.

"He started interrogating me the minute I walked into his office earlier!" She snapped defensively, keeping her voice low so they weren't overheard. "He knew who I was before he even had the chance to ask. Apparently, he's been paying better attention than we gave him credit for."

They all looked over at Gordon, staring up at their suits while Barbara and River watched nervously from next to the computers. Blair had never seen him so quiet before, not even at museums he would take her to as a kid.

"Besides, look how well it worked out with River." She pointed out. They had another unofficial doctor and computer geek to help hack into government servers when they needed it. Now they had James Gordon. "This is the commissioner we've worked with for years, you longer than the rest of us." She was aware how pathetic she sounded, her voice pleading. "He's my uncle."

"I'm starting to believe you don't know how to keep your identity a secret from people at all." Bruce said, his voice low but the effect was all the same.

Blair blinked, dropping her arms to her side. She wasn't sure what she was expecting him to say, but that was not it. Somehow, it hurt more than she thought it would. Her voice came out in a shocked whisper, "What?"

"That's not fair." Jason interrupted before Bruce could say something worse. "River found out on his own just like Gordon. This isn't her fault."

"It may not be her fault, but it only seems to happen to her."

Blair was silent the entire time they were talking, but finally gathered the courage to defend herself. This did not just happen to only her. There was no way she was going to be the only one that was punished for something like this. "You can't say that."

Bruce shifted his gaze back to her, speaking so slowly, she felt that she was moving at supersonic speed, "I beg your pardon."