Chapter 5 - Can't argue with that

The next week of school had started and Erin still hadn't heard a word about the results of the Gryffindor try-outs. Benji hadn't either and his nerves hadn't gotten any better. Oliver sure as hell was taking his sweet ass time.

Erin tried to catch some kind of sign when they walked through the hallways, but Oliver had an excellent poker face. He did smile at her when they crossed paths, but it wasn't a "don't-worry-he-made-it" kind of smile. Beatrice was not a fan of the lack of dislike for the Gryffindor captain, but Erin was still a little confused. If she let herself be, she'd catch feelings for him again in approximately 5 seconds. He just had to be nice to her twice and she was sold. But she knew that had no good outcome. He'd never be interested in her in that way, so she was signing herself up for a broken heart. Moreover, she needed to focus. The best possible solution would be to just become friends with him, but could she do that? If it meant him helping her become team captain, she sure as hell was going to try.

Erin's N.E.W.T classes were taking up a lot of time though as they were definitely a lot harder than last year. She found herself in the library often, trying her best to keep up good grades whilst having her full focus on quidditch.

It was on her way to the library that she had received the news.

"Erin!" Someone shouted loudly from across the hallway. She almost got a heart attack from the sudden outburst. Her little brother was running up to her and she knew exactly what that meant.

"I made it! Erin I made it!" Erin didn't need any extra information. She dropped her bag and scooped up her brother, twirling him around.

"Oh Merlin Benji that's so fantastic! I knew you could do it!" She put him back down, saving his bright smiling face somewhere in her brain with all her other happy moments.

"I'm a reserve Chaser. I'm a Chaser, Erin, just like you!"

"I'm so proud of you Benji. Just wait until our parents hear about this."

"You reckon dad's going to be proud?" Benjamin's face softened a little, a sad look slowly entering his eyes.

"Of course he's going to be. I know he will", Erin said. This was no time for sad faces. Suddenly, Benjamin straightened his face and stood back up, back straight.

"Hi captain", he said. Erin turned around to see Oliver walking down the corridor.

"Well well, shouldn't you be getting ready for practice?" Oliver asked him, a smile lingering around his lips.

"Right, I just needed to... Right, bye Erin!" Benjamin ran off again like a maniac, making Erin chuckle.

"Do they all call you captain? Seems a bit much to me", Erin joked, to which Oliver shrugged.

"Not really, but can't say I dislike it. He's a good kid." Erin looked at the spot Benjamin was just standing. Oliver gave him a spot on the team. Nope, nope, she needed to focus.

"Thank you, by the way. You can't imagine how much this means to him."

"Well, he deserved it. He's a fast little devil, that guy. With a bit of training he'll be a great addition to the team", Oliver said.

"Guess it runs in the family", Erin joked, dramatically throwing her hair back.

"Can't argue with that", he said, causing Erin to blush madly. Oh hell no. She was hopeless. Erin envisioned last year's fiasco again, which was a great help.

"Well, I should go. See you on Thursday", she said, quickly walking away, trying not to show the major mood shift she just experienced.

"2PM, quidditch pitch?" Oliver shouted. Erin just stuck up her thumb, not able to bring out a normal sentence. She could do this. She could be friends with Oliver Wood.