I nod.

"Emilie, honey, let's talk about it." My mother spoke through my bedroom door.

"I don't want to talk about it."

She knocked once more, "Open the door."

I laid silent in my bed hoping she would go away, but yet another knock echoed through my room.

My feet slowly swung to the side of my bed and shuffled across the floor until my hand could reach the lock on the door.

The door slowly opened and my mom pushed her way in and took a seat on the edge of my bed.

"Why couldn't you tell me alone? Did it have to be in front of them?"

My mother frowned, "I'm sorry, sweetie. I didn't think you would react this way."

I sat down beside her, "How could I not? We just moved here, and I like it here."

She pat my hand with hers, "I know sweetie. We will figure this out."

I sighed and leaned over til my head was resting on her shoulder, "I'm proud of you, mom."

She was quiet, but I could tell she was starting to cry. I simply wrapped my arms around her and sat with her.
We hadn't had any quality time since dad passed away, and I felt guilty for that.

After several minutes she kissed the top of my head and stood up, "Get some sleep, we can talk after school tomorrow."

"I love you, mom."

She smiled, kissed her fingertips, then placed her fingertips to my cheek, "I love you, too."

Charlotte was waiting for me outside the double doors to go into the gym before first bell.

"Did your phone break or...?"

I shrugged, "I turned it off last night."

"For?"

We sat down towards the edge of the bleachers to ourselves, and I scanned the room for Liam.

"My mom got a job promotion-"

"Oh that's good, right?"

"In New York."

Charlotte looked stunned, "Not good."

I shook my head and looked for him again. That's when I felt a knife in my chest.

Charlotte used her finger from my eyeballs to trace the line of my vision and her jaw dropped, "Get the fuck out of here."

I took a deep breath as I watched Farrah walk across the gymnasium floor and take a seat with a few of the seniors.

"We can go to the bathroom or something-"

"I'm fine."

Char wasn't fully convinced that I was fine, but she respected my decision. I kept my eyes glued to Farrah as she laughed and touched three senior basketball players.

Another knife.

Liam exited their locker room and walked out to the bleachers. His eyes landed on Farrah. I was almost relieved when he darted the opposite direction. But she followed him and cut him off as he tried to leave the gym.

They talked for a few minutes before Liam looked over both shoulders scanning the room. I wasn't sure if he was looking for me, or an exit strategy.

Finally, his eyes connected with mine and their conversation ended immediately. She was calling out his name as he made a direct line towards me and Charlotte.

"Oh God. Do you want me to go-"

"No! Stay." I grabbed her backpack and pulled her back down to the bleacher.

"Emilie, I called you six times last night." He sat down beside me and invaded my personal space as he spoke. Genuine concern flooded his face.

"I turned my phone off last night."

His eyebrows hugged each other, "Why?"

Without hesitation I went straight for the gut, "I'm leaving."

Farrah was almost to our bleacher when he stood up, "What? Why? Where are you going?"

"Liam! I was not done talking to you!"

Charlotte grabs my hand as Farrah steps between Liam and I.

He leans around her, ignoring her completely, "Em, what's going on?"

"I'm moving to New York with my mom."

He dropped to the bleacher below him and his shoulders sank.

"Hello," Farrah waves her hands in front of his face, "Seriously?"

He looked up from his shoes, "Farrah, I'm done with you. I swear if you don't go away, God help me."

Shocked, she stomped her foot and walked away.

After the silence was suffocated by the first bell, Liam stopped me from walking away, "New York?"

I nod, "She got a job promotion."

Before I could react, his arms were wrapped around my body, "You can't leave. You just came into my life, I can't lose you."

I didn't have any words to say, I simply stood in the gym with his arms embracing me, while Charlotte awkwardly stood beside us.

The warning bell rang and I pulled away from him. He gave me a pleading look.

"We can talk later, I have to get to class."

After the final bell, Liam was standing beside my locker with his right ankle crossed over his left, typing on his phone. I considered trying to sneak by, but he caught me before I took my first step.

He opened my locker and took my books from me, putting them in their place. Closing my locker back, "Can we go grab some food?"

"Sure," I nod, "But I have to be home soon, my mom wants to talk about what the future holds." I roll my eyes as I finish my sentence.

The diner was full of students as it always is after school. He led me to a corner booth and I sat down.

"So as you saw, Farrah is back."

I nod.

"Her family just moved back."

I nod.

"She still says the baby is mine, but I don't believe her, Em."

I nod.

He gets quiet for a moment.

"Are you really leaving..."

I nod.

"And what if the baby isn't mine?"

I shrug.

"Can you please talk to me?"

I take a deep breath, "And say what, Liam?"

"Do you want to leave?"

"Of course not," I rub my forehead, "But I don't have a choice."

He reached across the table and grabbed my hand in his. We sat like this in silence for what felt like hours.

"Isn't this just adorable."

We both tensed as we heard her voice.

Before I knew what was happening, I was standing inches from her face, furious, "Can you not just leave us alone? Why are you doing this?"

She laughed in my face, "Your little boyfriend did this," she points to her stomach, "So blame him, not me."

Liam was now standing behind me, "Farrah, that is not my baby."

She laughed again, "Believe what you want, everyone will know the truth soon enough."

She walked away and I felt myself reaching for his embrace even though I wasn't sure that I wanted it. But he was there for me, and right now I needed someone.