Chapter 44

"He's not doing great, Fee," Luca said he returned from class with Cedric. "It's been more than a week, and the other schools are are arriving anytime now—"

"Is there no way to change his mind?" Ophelia said quietly, her eyes trained on her shoes. "I know I'm being horribly selfish, and I know he's set on entering—I don't know what to do, Luca."

Luca's eyes softened as he pulled her into a hug, his voice muffled against her hair. "It's Cedric we're talking about," he said firmly. "if there's anyone that can win the tournament, it's him."

"You really think so?" 

"I do." 

The comforting silence between the two didn't last long. The Head of the Houses were heard organizing their houses into lines in the entrance hall, and Professor McGonagall had just hurried over to fetch them.

"Sixth years..." she muttered, taking the two to the back. "Weasley, straighten your hat," she snapped at Ron when they passed by on the stairs. "Miss Patil, take that ridiculous thing out of your hair."

Luca glanced at his watch impatiently, whispering the time to Ophelia every thirty seconds. "It's almost six, where are they?"

"Aha! Unless I am very much mistaken, the delegation from Beauxbatons approaches!" came Dumbledore's booming voice from the back row.

"Where?" 

"There!" Luca yelled, pointing over at the forbidden forest. There was something huge hurtling across the darkening sky towards the castle.

"It's a dragon!"

"Don't be stupid...it's a flying house!" a first year Gryffindor shouted excitedly. A gigantic shape brushed over the trees of the forest. As it came closer to in the light, Ophelia saw it to be a light blue color carriage pulled by gorgeous golden horses. After the carriage landed, a boy in the same color robes jumped down from the carriage and unfolded a set of golden steps.

"Jesus," Ophelia muttered to Luca. "How fucking posh?"

The largest woman she had ever seen in her life appeared, and a few people gasped. She was around as big as Hagrid, even maybe a bit larger, and she was dressed from head to toe in an expensive black satin with opals decorating her outfit.

Dumbledore began to clap, and many followed. "My dear Madame Maxime," he greeted, kissing her hand. "Welcome to Hogwarts."

"Dumbly-dorr," she replied. "I 'ope I find you well?"

"In excellent form, I thank you,"

"My pupils," she said, waving her hands behind her. Around a dozen boys and girls who looked to be around Ophelia and Luca's age came from the carriage, all standing and shivering behind Madame Maxime.

"'As Karkaroff arrived yet?" 

"He should be here any moment," Dumbledore said. "Would you like to wait here and greet him or would you prefer to step inside and warm up a trifle?" 

"Warm up, I think," she said. "But ze 'orses—"

"Our Care of Magical Creatures teacher will be delighted to take care of them."

"My steeds require forceful 'andling," Madame Maxime said with worry. "Zey are very strong..."

"I assure you that Hagrid will be well up to the job."

"Ten galleons say Hagrid and Madame Maxime get together," Ophelia snickered to Luca, who accepted the bet.

The crowd parted so that her students and her could pass them on the steps. Since the sixth years were all standing together, she glared slightly at a girl who's gaze lingered on Cedric a little longer than needed, letting her shawl falter around her neck, and even had the audacity to lick her lips sultry at him. As if on instinct, his eyes flickered to hers a second too late, and only found her talking to Luca.