Chapter 38

Arosio De Luca

Do I regret what I said to her this morning?

Not a chance. 

Like a fool, I spent months trying to locate her across the country. I missed the sound of her voice, the smile in her eyes, the soft touch of her skin. I went crazy just thinking about what might happen to her out there, all alone while pregnant with my babies. 

I was ready to forgive her for everything. 

I knew she was only afraid, and it was partially my fault for never making sure she was completely fine. I chose to believe everything was okay, chose to fall for her fake smiles even though I knew deep down she was petrified after what happened in our family mansion's basement. 

I wanted to bring her home, back to our family that misses her like crazy. Not a day went by without little Elijah, my parents and brothers talking about Katerina and missing her like crazy. None of them are mad at her, they are hurt at her actions but they also understand her perspective. 

But now, every time I think of her and that bastard James, their promise of forever remaining together that I witnessed in his garden yesterday, I get one step closer to losing my grip on my own sanity. Just the mere thought of having to let that man live puts me into a foul mood. Her promise to forever stay with him means that she never once thought of me nor my family in these past few months. 

I want to punish her. I want her to feel the same pain I felt all these months. 

That's the only thought I had this morning when I threw those fake divorce papers at her. 

Yes, fake. 

I would never divorce my wife, no matter what. 

When I said for eternity, I meant it.  From the moment I laid my eyes on her, she became my one and only. The only woman I will ever love, the only woman I will ever protect and make love to. 

FANCULO. (Fuck) 

How could I fucking lie to her like that? Used her body... for pleasure? 

Ha.

I must have lost my damn mind. The only reason I touched her last night is because I wanted to make love to her, I missed her too much these past few months and I would have gone insane if I didn't hold her and feel her in my arms all night. 

She must be crying a lot right now...

No, smettila di pensare a lei. È lei che voleva andarsene con un altro uomo. (No, stop thinking about her. She's the one who wanted to leave with another man.) 

"Capo, siamo arrivati", my driver informed me as I nodded my head and signalled my guards to stay in the car.  (Boss, we've arrived). 

Walking towards the poor house belonging to that bastard James, I seriously question why my wife would ever prefer this small hut over our family mansion. Why would she prefer living with these strangers instead of her own family? 

I was originally planning on staying at another one of my villas until I cooled down and then going back to pick up Katerina. However, Giovanni was guarding James and his family in the hospital and apparently James' wife told him that I needed to see the art studio in their home. 

Entering the small art studio, my footsteps faltered as I recognized the sweet scent in the room belonging to my wife. She must have spent a lot of time in this room for her scent to be lingering in here like this. 

"Che spreco di tempo" I muttered in annoyance as I looked over the empty white canvas laying on the wooden easel. (What a waste of time)

Right when I was about to leave the art studio, my hand knocked against a painting covered with a white tarp. My eyes widened in shock as it fell to the floor and the painting was unravelled, showing a very familiar silhouette of my own body.